Why can't I backup with adb?

johnyjj2

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Cannot backup with adb

Hi,

I wanted to unlock, root and install CyanogenMod on HTC One M8. Before that I want to ensure that all my private data are copied to my desktop PC with Ubuntu. Unfortunately I cannot see any way to enable USB debugging on my M8. Without that, it does not work.

cd HTCOneRoot/
cd HTCOneRoot/
ls
adb.exe fastboot-linux
adb-linux fastboot-mac
adb-mac HTCDriver_4.1.0.001.exe
AdbWinApi.dll openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.0-m7.img
AdbWinUsbApi.dll openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.0-m7wls.img
CWM-SuperSU-v1.30.zip recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.3.1-m7.img
fastboot.exe UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.65.zip
chmod 755 *
./adb-linux backup -apk -all -f backup.ab
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
adb: unable to connect for backup

I have found some tutorials (sorry, I cannot provide you the link where I have found those, as it would break forum rules) that show where I can change it in the settings to enable USB debugging. But there is no such entry in my settings! I guess something might have changed in newer versions of HTC Android. And without that adb does not work.

I have disabled any synchronization with Google because I don't trust Google with my private data.

I wanted to ensure that all my contacts and history of SMS are backed up. I have copied the whole content of internal storage (I didn't buy any additional SD card) to my Ubuntu computer. Is it enough to be able to restore contacts and SMS history after installing CyanogenMod? Which file contains SMS history and contacts? Where can I find temporary files created by application? Why isn't it enough just to copy content of some directory to computer and then copy it again to HTC internal storage to restore the application and I need to use adb application?

Thanks a lot for answers in advance :)

PS I had to delete parts of Ubuntu terminal output because it is treated by the forum as links to websites.

johnyjj2

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
That's exactly what I have done. I have searched on Google and found page where it is explained. (I wanted to give you the link in the first post but it is not allowed according to this forum rules). Unfortunately the explanation in that link I have found (and some others) refers to the option which is not present in the settings at all!

PS OK, I have found that I had no 'developer options' because I had to click five times in 'build number' item in the menu. Then 'developer options' appeared. It wasn't explained in the link that I have found.

I am still curious why I need to use adb at all - i.e. what can it do that is impossible with just copying and pasting content of internal memory.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You can't access some parts of the phone from Ubuntu. Adb shell ... well, if you know Ubuntu, you know what shell (I believe the default in Android is bash) and su can do. Even backing up the kernel is just a lot of typing if you're in the shell and can run under su. (Since everything is a partition, you can back up Android, the recovery partition, everything. You can copy files or use dd. That last question was really just to test us, wasn't it?)

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmitrbol