Why isn't my USB flash drive getting detected on my Android Device?

A

AC Question

USB flash drive is not getting detedted in the Android Device.

The USB flash drive is not detected in the Android device if the USB Falsh drive is interfaced before bootup.
But if we do hot-plug the USB, then the USB is detected.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: USB flash drive is not getting detedted in the Android Device.

Welcome to Android Central! What device do you have? What do you mean by hot plug? Do you mean waiting until the device is on before plugging it in?

If your device only has a microUSB port, then you need to use an OTG cable to connect a USB flash drive. If your device has a fullsized USB port, then a USB flash drive should work by just plugging it in.

McLaren101

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
Re: USB flash drive is not getting detedted in the Android Device.

Welcome to Android Central! What device do you have? What do you mean by hot plug? Do you mean waiting until the device is on before plugging it in?

If your device only has a microUSB port, then you need to use an OTG cable to connect a USB flash drive. If your device has a fullsized USB port, then a USB flash drive should work by just plugging it in.

I have moto X and version 5.1 it's not detected when I plug it in , also what's an OTG cable?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You're responding to a 2 year old thread, so I'm not sure if you have the same issue as the OP. Are you saying that when you try to connect a USB flash drive to your phone's microUSB port, it isn't connected? To connect flash drives, you need an OTG (On-The-Go) adapter, which is generally very inexpensive. See this article for more info: How to connect a USB flash drive to your Android phone | Android Central