Why is your website so slow?

A

AC Question

why is your website so slow

It takes close to 10 seconds before I can scroll pat the banner. It's so bad on my m8 that I've stopped going to it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: why is your website so slow

Welcome to Android Central! So you're accessing the AC website on your phone's browser? It's probably a lot faster if you use the Android Central app or the Tapatalk-based Android Central Forums app.

If you want to use the website, then are you accessing the mobile site or the full desktop site? The latter will always be slower, because it's intended for a desktop/laptop, not a phone.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: why is your website so slow

It also depends on two other things - how fast your browser (or other app) interprets Javascript (IE 5.5 was about the worst for that - I wrote some perfectly usable web pages that took 5 minutes to execute in 5.5, but 20 seconds in Firefox) and your path to the various servers your browser (or app) is loading from, like Google Analytics and a few others, in addition to the androidcentral.com site itself. A slow path means a slow load.

jdtemple

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
This site is unusable on my Nexus 5, mainly due to the ads. Those ads that you have to scroll past in order to get back to the content are especially bad. I ran into one today that took a good 30 seconds to scroll through and the page became completely unresponsive once I finally got the ad to go away.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I hate sites that are loaded with ads - but I've run sites and know how difficult it is to maintain one, and how expensive it is to get help maintaining one. So I can see both sides of the issue. It's a necessary evil. If you want a good site that stays on the web for years, there are going to be a lot of ads (or some benefactor throwing money at it).

jdtemple

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
I installed the Android Central app and set Feedly to launch it instead of Chrome when I tap AC links, but that only worked for a few days. Now, I just get sent to the home screen instead of directly to the article I want to read. So much for that idea. Back to the slowness in Chrome!

I nearly dropped my RSS subscription to AC because of how frustrating it is to use on my phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams