Why can't I connect my Android phone from China to wifi?

A

AC Question

Purchased Android phone from China & having problems

Hi all,

I've purchased a HOMI Android phone from China

However, I've got a few problems

Mainly I can't connect ot my home WiFi conection - it times out with the Authentication Error message, even though all my other devices connect perfectly!!

Also, (and this may sound like a stupid question), how do I convert any Apps to English (I've changed the language settings to English)

I assume I can add the newest version of Google Play, how can I do that?

Lots of questions, and a purchase I may regret, but I'm sure I can get to the bottom of it

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Purchased Android phone from China & having problems

Welcome to Android Central! You really take your chances with these direct-from-China phones. There's a higher chance of faulty hardware or firmware. They are almost never certified for Google Play, which means the Play Store does not come preinstalled, and is usually not compatible even if you sideload it. The ROM that's installed is often intended for China, so many system names will still be in Chinese.

For your wi-fi issues, check out this guide: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...roubleshooting-wi-fi-connection-problems.html

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

OP, do you have the Play store on it? From what I understood, many Chinese Android devices did not come with Play or Services.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

You can't convert the apps to English, unless they're written to use language files, and an English language file is available for the app. You usually just uninstall the app and install an English language version.

As far as wifi, you'd need something like Wireshark to see what the phone is saying when it tries to connect (and the knowledge to understand what you're looking at). As B. Diddy said, you take your chances when you buy those phones, and you bought one that won't connect to wifi. Ylu can try contacting the manufacturer for a replacement, but I've never heard of anyone having any luck contacting those companies. You'll usually get "you must be doing something wrong", "it's not covered under the warranty" or you won't get a response at all.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Supposedly a lot less price (there are "unlocked Note 3"s selling in China for $250 shipped) for the same phone (which it isn't). Some of the Chinese "Note 3"s even have the Samsung logo and the fake leather back. But no 3G or 4G, poor quality parts, poor quality build. But Barnum was an optimist.

nation888

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
The Uhans Max phone I have has a the same issue because my mac address keeps changing. When the Wifi tries to connect it refuses connection because router is protection the network from foreign devices. Make sense, so I use a MAC address changer app to keep the same mac address after reboot. This seems to work. Also if your wondering why the internet is slow, China phones send your personal data back to their server for some reason. Use Blockada app. Malwarebytes app is good too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa