Where has my Google account mysteriously disappeared to?

A

AC Question

Google account mysteriously disappeared from Accounts & sync, can't add it back

I hope somebody can help me out with this issue.

Today I tried to enter the Gmail app as usual, but it displayed an "Add a Google Account" option and asked if I want to create an existing or new Google account. I backed out and tried Google+, and got the same popup. Weird as I've had a Google account since I first set the phone up.

I went into "Settings > Accounts & sync" and discovered there was no "Google" account under "Manage accounts". Very odd. So I tried re-adding my existing Google account, and it seemed to add the entry back under "Accounts & sync". But after this, any time I tried to enter Gmail or Google+, I would get an error message:

"Unfortunately, Google account manager has stopped."

I decided to play it safe and do HTC backup, factory reset, then restore from HTC backup afterwards. Upon restore, it found my Google account again, and for a few hours everything seemed fine, and I could access Gmail and Google+ without any issues.

About 5 hours later I tried to enter Gmail again, and got the "Add a Google Account" popup again. When I checked "Settings > Accounts & sync", my Google account entry was gone again. Wtf!

I had not installed any new apps or changed any phone settings for a week or so before this happened - it was completely out of the blue. I do have auto-update enabled however.

At this point I have no idea how I can fix this issue, as a factory reset hasn't solved the problem, and my Google account in "Accounts & sync" keeps disappearing after a while. When I try and add it again, I start getting this error again on opening Gmail/Google+:

"Unfortunately, Google account manager has stopped."

The only thing I can think of is that a bad software update has been rolled out by Google, and is installing after a short while on my phone and nuking my Google account, but I have no idea where to go from here.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue or perhaps knows how I can fix this? Thanks for your help!

tl;dr I'm seeing a sudden problem where my Google account is inexplicably disappearing from my "Accounts & sync" section, and a factory reset doesn't resolve the issue.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Google account mysteriously disappeared from Accounts & sync, can't add it back

Welcome to Android Central! That is odd. If everything is still backed up, try another factory reset--but before doing so, go to Settings>Backup & Reset, and uncheck Automatically Restore, so that all of your apps don't automatically reinstall upon starting the phone back up again. That might be a problem if some app you installed is causing this issue. Once you've reset the phone to pristine condition and have logged in with your Google account, keep using it for a while, without installing any new apps. Do you get the same crash? If not, then it's possible that something you keep installing is the culprit.

Another approach would be to boot into Safe Mode, which prevents all 3rd party apps from starting up. See if you're able to access your Google apps that way. If you can, then start opening apps one by one, and see when the problem recurs. Steps for Safe Mode may depend on your specific device--which HTC phone do you have?

AmmarMalhas

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I have read somewhere and tried it and it works:
Use Google Calendar App on Android, in the menu on the upper left hand corner you can select to show your Google account calendar (even if empty), the account should show there even if it does not elsewhere. Selecting the Google account there will make it visible elsewhere. I have no idea why, though!
i hope this works for you and anyone who may still be facing (and will sometime be facing) these never ending, never resolved faults in Android.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ijulnesia