Question Chromebook buying advice and login questions

pier_to_pier

Apr 2, 2024
Visit site
Good day all. Apologies if posted in wrong forum but am in need of assistance regarding a possible purchase of a Chromebook and any software issues I might have. Please point in right direction if needed.

My teen daughter is in need of her own laptop for use in school and for homework/own personal use, rather than keep asking to use my machines. (I’m a Mac and PC user. Boo, hiss you cry! Though I could become a convert too).

We’ve been looking at a Chromebook instead of the traditional Windows/Mac laptops, for ease of use/battery life/affordability etc. Consideration is the ASUS CX34 Chromebook Plus 14in i3 8GB 256GB, but open to suggestions!

My uncertainty revolves around accounts and logins.

1 - She has her own gmail account as owns an android phone and therefore is logged into that account on her phone. This account is under Google Family Link on the phone. Question(s): If we setup the new Chromebook using this account, will it also be under the same Family Link restrictions and supervision? Is the account linked to her cloud storage on GDrive?

2 - The school uses Microsoft 365 (specifically Teams) for communicating and setting homework etc so this is one app/program that needs to work on the Chromebook without issue. My question here is: as she would already be logged into her own personal Google account on the Chromebook on startup, would she then still be able to log into Teams and Microsoft 365 using her different school email/login and use those apps?

I'm really asking are apps on ChromeOS specific to the startup login, or can you then further login to the app with an app account login?

Please forgive my lack of knowledge on this subject. Any advice you can give is appreciated!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You can definitely set up a Chromebook using Family Link: https://support.google.com/families/answer/7680868?hl=en. Anything Google service she uses on her phone can be accessed on the Chromebook as well.

Logging into Microsoft 365 and Teams is done from a website, so it doesn't matter which Google account the Chromebook is signed into: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...romebook-32f14a23-2c1a-4579-b973-d4b1d78561ad.

You may want to check with the school's IT department to see if there are any issues with Chromebooks, but considering how commonly schools use Chromebooks, I suspect it'll be no problem.

Reactions: pier_to_pier

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alakmalak