My Nexus 7 says it's connected to WiFi but then why won't it connect to the internet (can't browse, apps can't connect, etc.)?

Kayla Donn Halsey

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Nexus 7 says it's connected to WiFi but won't connect (can't browse, apps can't connect, etc.).

Nexus 7 tablet says it's connected to my home WiFi, but I can't use it. I can't connect to the internet on my browser. Apps that require internet can't start up. The WiFi works fine on my laptop and phone. The tablet actually says "connected", so it's not an authentication problem. It's worked for months and months up until now. It's charging fine. Any ideas?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Nexus 7 says it's connected to WiFi but won't connect (can't browse, apps can't connect, etc.).

It's getting a limited connection - connecting to the router (which is what "connected" means), but the router isn't giving it internet access.

Is it set for a static IP address? It shouldn't be.

A limited connection has a lot of possible causes, and it's not possible to give you a single answer that's guaranteed correct over a forum - someone has to be there. You could try reading our Troubleshooting Wi-Fi Connection Problems guide.