Question Transferring files from phone to tablet. This one's a doozy!

spazzoid86

Feb 5, 2024
Visit site
Upon first glance at the title of this thread, one would think this might be a relatively simple issue I'm dealing with; however, once I am finished describing the intracacies of my problem, one will begin to understand just why I had to end up posting a question to an Android forum. Allow me to apologize in advance for the lengthy description of my problem. It may seem a bit excessive and unnecessarily detailed, but I assure you it is not. I am including only those details that are relevant and nothing more. I urge the reader to understand one thing now: when I say I cannot procure or acquire any other supplies or hardware, I mean that. The reason is irrelevant, but what I have to work with is all I've got and I can't acquire anything else. For example, I know an easy solution to my problem would be to get a USB cable and transfer my files that way; but for reasons that need not be discussed, that is NOT an option. One last thing worth mentioning before describing my problem: also for reasons that need not be discussed, I am relatively new to the phone and tablet tech fields. I am very intelligent and a fast learner, not to mention I have an A+ certificate (from 20 years ago, unfortunately), so I'm not as dull as I could be on this topic. But regardless of all that, I am still struggling with an extremely complicated problem. Although not an emergency, this is sort of a time sensitive issue, so anyone who could provide a rather rapid response would be very appreciated. So here is my issue: I have a knockoff Android tablet (Oreo) that wasn't necessarily designed for "civilian" use but is still a very capable and useful device. This tablet is WiFi capable, can both connect to other networks AND create its own hotspot, and is able to connect to the Internet (although not consistently and only for limited periods of time, but this isn't due to any limitations on its part, but rather because I only have access to an Internet signal at certain times). Unfortunately, the bluetooth on the tablet is inoperable; I'm not really sure why. So that isn't an option. The other device I have is a TCL Flip Pro (model T408DL). It isn't a "smart phone," but it isn't necessarily a dumb phone, either. I have an unlimited talk, text, and data plan from Straight Talk, with 20 gigs of mobile hotspot. For me, that's not nearly enough since these two devices are my only sources of entertainment . My primary device is the tablet and during those times throughout the month when I do have hotspot data, I am easily able to acquire the content I desire because I can connect the two using the phone's hotspot. However, that isn't the case when I run out of hotspot data and the company kills it. In that case, the phone won't even allow me to turn the hotspot on (and even if the tablet's bluetooth did work, the phone won't allow me to turn the bluetooth
tethering on either). Lastly, as I implied before, I do not have a USB cable and no way to get one. (I know some of you are thinking, "Why not? What's stopping him from just taking a trip to the local electronics store and buying one or
borrowing one from a friend!?") But, again, regardless of why, that just is not an option. So, to summarize, I can't
transfer via USB; I can't transfer via bluetooth; and because I'm unable to turn on the phone's
hotspot, I can't transfer via traditional WiFi. (I am, however, able to turn on the tablet's hotspot and connect the phone to the tablet via the phone's regular WiFi. (Some of you might see the problem already, but I'll explain shortly why this doesn't help me in the slightest). Because all of these options don't work, I am stuck with a flip phone with a 3.5" screen, on which it's a pain in the neck to view media content, and a tablet that I am only able to use to get online at certain times, with no way to transfer files between them. Since the purpose of the phone's hotspot is mainly to provide an Internet connection, I even tried to turn off the cellular data in the phone's settings in order to "trick" it into turning on the hotspot. Not only did this not work, I realized later it would have been pointless anyway for
the same reason being connected to the
tablet's hotspot with the phone's WiFi is pointless: because the phone is a flip, I can't install apps on it. Therefore, even if and when the two are connected, I have no apps with which to transfer anything. ( The phone does not come with anything except the normal stock tools necessary to run it, fundamental functional software, and a very basic browser. I use the phone to get online all the time and my ability to do so is pretty much unimpeded. That isn't the case with the tablet. I need to stress here that the reason I can't use the tablet to get online once my hotspot runs out is because the only Internet signal I get then is one a friend of mine allows me to access very seldomly (since he also has to keep an eye on his mobile hotspot usage). The problem I have is I go through so much content that, if I can't figure out a way to transfer things from the phone to the tablet, I'm stuck having to use the phone, which as I said is a pain. I can download content to the phone but not transfer it tn my tablet. Another thing I should stress is due to my circumstances, what I've mentioned in this post is all I have; I can't pop on down to the local electronics store for a piece of equipment, or run to a neighbor and borrow something. The only tools at my disposal are the phone, the tablet, and the Internet, all subject to the limitations described herein. Given all these parameters, I have only been able to think of one solution, but even it isn't an ideal fix. I sometimes upload content to the cloud while online on the phone, then download it to the tablet when I get lucky enough to be able to get online on it. The problem is, it's unpredictable how long that signal will be on so sometimes I might only get a few songs or one movie before it cuts out; and it always cuts out in the middle of a download. I have toyed with the idea of connecting the phone and tablet using the tablet's hotspot as previously described then getting online and transferring the files to the tablet using some kind of online host or proxy. But I have no idea if any of those even exist and if they do, how they work. I did find a site called apps4flip.com that provides app mods for flip phones, but in order to install them, my phone must be flash reset and a different bootloader installed. Not only am I not willing to do that, I'm afraid to say that doing so would be beyond my knowledge and skill level. I've also thought about the possibility of FTP, but again, I wouldn't know how to do so since my knowledge of FTP extends no further than the fact that one device is a client and the other a host. If I were to be told how to do it, I have no doubt I could. Can someone PLEASE help me!? What do I do?

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
Maybe search the app store for an app you can install on the tablet, one that would basically host a file share server (on the tablet), one that you could upload/download files to/from via web browser interface (from your phone), on the local network of your tablet when it is in local hotspot serving mode.

I don't know if any apps like that exist, but in theory it would not be a very complicated app for someone to have developed.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000