Ok, I have been digging on the internet the last few days to see what could cause this and I can't find anything that will help. I'll ask here and hope someone can give me some assistance.

I just recently switched to Sprint and picked up a Galaxy S5 phone. I have all my apps and stuff installed and I turn all my sounds off except for ringtones and text tones. My ringtones work just fine but my notification tones for text messages does not. The only way I know I have a text is because I have the phone set to vibrate when I get a text message along with playing the tone. The phone came pre-installed with Google Hangouts and the stock messaging app. I did install Google Messenger but since have uninstalled it trying to see if that would help get this working again, it did not. I have checked both the settings for the global sound and the individual settings in Messaging and Hangouts for sound and all are set. I have checked the sound rocker to make sure that notification sounds are in deed on and they are. After moving to Sprint, I did do the Google Voice integration that Sprint has setup and I thought that may be the problem so I disabled that feature and pushed my number back to Sprint and that did nothing to help either.

I really don't want to do a system reset but if I have to, I have to. Before I do that though, any ideas on what else I can check or change to make this work? I did get a text sound to work last night when I received a text from Sprint. I thought it was odd so I did check a few things. I was not on Wi-Fi when the text came in so I turned my wi-fi off and tested that, no go. I thought maybe it had to do with a non set contact texting me so I used an online texting service to send me a text and that didn't do anything. Since the texts that worked came in when I was not at home or work so my WiFi was on but I was not connected to anything, I tested that too and that didn't work either.

Open to any thoughts on this.

Thanks.

UPDATE: Since I don't seem to have a reply ability on this page(yes, i'll play the stupid card), I'll just edit the post.

I had not thought of clearing the cache but I just did so and no go. Still does not work. I did revert back to the Samsung launcher as I had moved to the Google Now launcher instead and that didn't do anything either. Unless someone else has any thoughts on this, I guess it is a master reset. Sprint seemed to think this could be a device issue but this really sounds like software. Anyone know how this could be considered a device issue?

When I moved over, I moved from a Galaxy S4 to a Galaxy S5. When I put my stuff back on the new phone, I put it exactly how I had it on my S4 as I liked the way I had my screens and widgets setup. The S4 worked perfectly fine with no issues. The only real difference here is when I was with Verizon, I had Google Voice but it wasn't directly integrated like it is now. That is why I disconnected that feature earlier to test this.

Thanks.
    12-18-2014 07:54 AM
    Have you tried rebooting into recovery and clearing the cache? Try this: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...2-s3-tab2.html

Follow instructions for the S3.
    12-18-2014 09:28 AM
    ... My ringtones work just fine but my notification tones for text messages does not...
    I know this is an old one but I'm replying in case anyone else has this issue. The latest version of Android let's you turn off notifications in the App Manager settings for that app. I found it because I meant to turn off notifications for Facebook's Messenger app, but accidentally turned them off for Samsung's Message app instead.

Good luck all.
    03-20-2015 06:26 PM