How can I recover data from an encrypted card (phone screen broken)?

anshuk23

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Recovering data from encrypted card; phone screen broken

The screen of my Galaxy S4 broke when I dropped the phone. The device was an office PDA and was encrypted. I don't see anything on the display (just saw some green dotted lines once; nothing ever since). Is there someway I can recover the data from my phone memory/external memory card?
I don't see anything on Windows explorer when I connect the phone to my laptop.

Any and every help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Recovering data from encrypted card; phone screen broken

Welcome to Android Central! You should be able to remove the microSD card and insert it into a computer's SD reader. To avoid corruption of the card, power the phone off first before you remove the card.

In order to access the internal storage, you'll have to unlock the phone first before the computer can access it via USB. See if this method helps: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...de-accessing-locked-phone-cracked-screen.html

anshuk23

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site

I was able to copy the files to my computer, but I guess since all of these were encrypted, I'm unable to open any of these files :'(
Probably because the encryption worked on the SD card too :(

Is there some way I can override the encryption and get my data back?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

In that case, your best bet may be to try to access everything via USB connection on your computer, after unlocking the phone using the method described in the previous link.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
As B. Diddy said, anshuk has to unlock and unencrypt the phone first. Then there are a few ways to get the data - a USB connection, a wifi or Bluetooth filesharing app if one is installed, a VNC server on the phone (and viewer on a PC), MyPhoneExplorer, etc.

Last edited by a moderator: