Can I get some help with modding?

Gaurav Rai2

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Questions about Modding

Hi everyone,
I'm very new to modding and I'm using Xperia Sp. After some research I came across article on XDA ( can't post link) which helped me install CyanogenMod on my phone, although I'm happy with results , I would like to learn more for my own good. I asked some of that question in the thread itself but nobody has answered. I'm hoping someone here may help me out.
Ok so following the article I figured how to root and how to unlock my bootloader, but steps after this confuse me by lot!

i) If I'm correct, after unlocking the bootloader, we must install a recovery like ClockWork, right? But according to the article I was supposed to install some kind of kernal (DoomLord) which happens to flash the CWM along! and thereafter I just had to install CM 11 from sd card..this somehow does not match the guides from others but still works

ii)What is this Kernal? If I'm to install a different Rom, will it work just like it worked for CM?

iii) Some say that kernal is flashed after installing the custom Rom, if that's true then how can a person like me install a recovery( because for me that DoomLord kernal came with CWM)

I'm sorry if all of this is rather stupid of me to ask but please try to explain me correct way of installing ROMs

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Questions about Modding

Welcome to the forums. A kernel changes hardware requests into software requests and vice versa (good example is the volume button and making sound louder). Most ROMs have their own kernel. The ROM you downloaded was probably tuned to the kernel that you had. I have never seen a kernel install also install a custom recovery, but that does not mean that it didn't happen.

You don't have to install a custom recovery after unlocking the bootloader. It is usually highly recommended to have it to back up your OS and install custom ROMs.

As for your final question, I would need to see the thread of the ROM you installed. (It is possible to install a kernel as a sideload, and then the kernel installs the custom recovery).

Gaurav Rai2

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Re: Questions about Modding

Thank you so much, I think I have accidentally open two threads asking the same thing..
this is the thread "[GUIDE] Flashing Custom ROMs for the Ultimate XSP Starters" please google search with this title as I can't post the link. please let me know what you think!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo