Question Magisk module has phone in bootloop/stuck on boot screen with no TWRP, will installing it now wipe my data?

helpimnotdrowning

Mar 4, 2024
Visit site
TLDR at bottom

A few days ago, I read the story about Google blocking RCS on rooted phones, which I had been experiencing for about a month now myself, so I decided to try to fix it.

I installed a magisk/root hider module through the mrepo app (while doing no research beforehand) to see if maybe hiding root from the google messenger could solve the issue. I think the module installer spat out some error, but I didn't get to read it before reflexively tapping the restart button. I have the LiveBoot app installed, which scrolls the system log across the screen as Android boots, so I'm able to see that after a while, it gets stuck repeating something like Unable to set property: "ctl.interface_start" about 3x/second, among a pile of other messages. Not sure if this is really a "bootloop" per se, since it just gets snagged somewhere in the boot process.

Rarely, it will boot up to a black screen that can accept touch (the little touch bubble appear), but after a short while (~5 seconds) it will freeze on that screen; this black screen would previously show up for those 5 seconds before the lock screen would kick in.

I currently have no way to remove the possibly offending module since I didn't install TWRP after rooting; would flashing it now wipe my data like when I unlocked the bootloader? I have a new phone to replace this one already (failing USBC port, already replaced), so I really only need to get the data off.

I am able to get into Download and fastboot mode still.

TLDR​

I installed a magisk module that made my phone bootloop (?). I don't have TWRP, would installing it now wipe my data?

Using:
  • LG v60 ATT
  • Android 11
  • Rooted (with Verizon engineering bootloader, I think? System says V600VM despite ATT everything-else)
  • Magisk 24, I think

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central. Unfortunately not many people here still do rooting and custom ROMs these days. You'll probably be better off checking with XDA Developers forums. Good luck.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter