Why does my phone say that the exchange services stopped working but it is working?

luke2080

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Exchange Services Stopped Working message every 5 minutes - but it is working

Every day, non-stop, I get the message "Unfortunately, Exchange Services has stopped working". Really annoying as I play a game, and that pops up every few minutes. Or as I try to make a call, etc.

The funny thing is, my exchange emails (2 accounts) and calendars are syncing. Now, the calendar sync isn't great as it doesn't keep up with cancellations, but otherwise it seems to work fine. When I look at the list of Apps and their run times, I'll see that exchange is only running for a few minutes, or be completely off after I see that message.

So it seems to me, it is working, but keeps getting kicked off the connection, then re-connects. Which must not be great for the battery, but the message about this is the most annoying part.

I am using the Moto X 2014, and this is my work exchange email, so I have to have the pin on the lock screen. Which I do. I use my exchange email and calendar every day with no problems. Is there a fix I am missing to keep this connected, or just turn off the stupid error message that is not relevant?

Please help. As an aside, I'm surprised to say how much better the Windows phone is for this stuff (which it should be, with Exchange). Although it is nice to now have a phone that has "apps" which Microsoft hasn't heard of.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Exchange Services Stopped Working message every 5 minutes - but it is working

Welcome to Android Central! See what happens if you go to Settings>Apps>All, select Exchange Services, and Clear Cache.

luke2080

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Re: Exchange Services Stopped Working message every 5 minutes - but it is working

Finally logged in to see a response and performed the Clear Cache step. I went 2 hours without the message, but of course as I'm typing this I see the "Unfortunately, Exchange Services has stopped". message pop up.

But again, I click OK and everything is updating fine. Exchange just keeps hiccupping, disconnecting and re-connecting.

I'll keep clearing the cache periodically. Having 2 hours without this message is better than past performance. But any other tips, or known bugs I should be trying to resolve?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Or it could be that Exchange Services crashes, then reruns. You'll see the "stopped working"" at the crash, but the syncing will occur as soon as it reruns (which will be a second or two).

Why is it crashing? Unless you can make it crash at will, it could cost tens of thousands of dollars of someone's time to analyze that. (We had a problem like that in a proprietary database that took two of us [not making minimum wage or anything near it] 6 months to be able to reproduce. Once a problem is reproducible at will, it's usually pretty trivial to fix. That one took about 10 minutes to fix - and about $125,000 to find.)

luke2080

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site

I guess I am slow to reply. Thanks for the link, I'll try booting in safe mode. But I have very few apps and generally make them not run in the background, and I think this has been doing this since day one.

Will exchange work in safe mode, or do I need to turn that on first? This may be a long project to do this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez