Android storage limitations - Why can't I store 500 GB?

Thomas Kregel

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
When I bought my Samsung Note 2 a couple years ago they came in 16 GB and 32 GB internal storage optional. I added a 64 GB SD card to give me 84 GB total. Is 84 GB the limit for the total storage? I live in the country and am not always on the cloud or don't want to use up my 4-G limits for things that could just be on my phone.

I have all my favorite audio books, my latest Audible reads, library audio books, 30 GB of music and a few dozen podcasts stored on my phone so I can listen while commuting or gardening, etc. I constantly have to remove things to free up storage.

I would love to have 500 GB storage.

When I asked the folks at the Best Buy Samsung desk why they could not put in multiple micro-SD slots they said there was no room in the phone to put it. Couldn't they do it for tablets then? There is plenty of space in those tablet bodies. I would also think that a 7" phone would have more space for the device than a 5" phone. Couldn't 2 SD slots use the same controller chips to save space?

Are these limits imposed by the Wireless companies to force us to use more bandwidth?

I remember the early days of Windows and the extended memory managers, when we struggled with 16 and 32 bit addressing issues. So now I am wondering it if Android is having analogous problems limiting them to less than 100 GB of storage.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Depending on the device, you could always try using a 128 GB or 256 GB microSD--but compatibility is not always guaranteed. Before long, I'm sure we'll start having 512 GB or even 1 TB microSD cards, but they'll probably be pretty expensive. Using an external hard drive via OTG cable is also an option, but obviously not a very good one for portability.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Get an OTG cable (the difference between the $2 ones and the $39.95 ones are the name on the connector - the thing that makes it an OTG cable is a little piece of wire, and the best wire in the world isn't worth $38 per quarter inch, unless maybe it's platinum or a room temperature superconductor) and a USB card reader and a lot of SD cards. You can easily carry 500GB of SD cards in a shirt pocket (that's only 4 128GB cards). You can't access all the cards at once, but the phone can't play 35 songs at once or display 20 maps at once.