Is it possible to forward a Text message to an email and have the text message subject line appear as a Subject in the email (NOTE 4)?

TXMVMCC

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
My NOTE 4 strips the Subject line when forwarded to email

Is it possible to forward a Text message to an email and have the text message subject line appear as a Subject in the email?

I am creating and forwarding text messages to a central business "Hours" email account with subject lines that are needed for the business... but the Android system appears to be stripping the Text subject line or not emailing the subject line; this worked when I use to do it on the Apple S. But I got tired of all the other issues with the Apple so purchased a new Note 4 Android system.... and now having issues. HELP....

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: My NOTE 4 strips the Subject line when forwarded to email

Is it possible to forward a Text message to an email and have the text message subject line appear as a Subject in the email?
Sure - IF SMS messages had subject lines, which they don't. It's just 160 characters of text.

but the Android system appears to be stripping the Text subject line or not emailing the subject line; this worked when I use to do it on the Apple S.
The Apple doesn't use SMS, it uses iMessage, which evidently has a subject line. SMS - which is what every other system in the world uses - has no subject line.

And there's no way to run iMessage on another phone. It's a proprietary system, and Apple isn't allowing anyone else to use it. Even if someone sends you an iMessage from an iPhone that has a subject line, it sends as an SMS message (or your Note 4 wouldn't receive it) so it's the sender that's stripping off the subject line when it's converting the iMessage to an SMS to send to you. If you must have a subject line in text messages, you'll have to go back to using an iPhone.

TXMVMCC

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site

Actually the Android program on the NOTE 4 does allow you to add a Subject line... but when it the text is forwarded to the email address the subject words are all stripped off.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

I "fixed that problem" by texting the message to my personal email address,

then opening the new Texted Email and modifying the Subject line as needed.

This also allows you a chance to modify the body of the message if needed.

I've been doing this for years, it avoids all the hassles of interfacing with "office emails"

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Actually the Android program on the NOTE 4 does allow you to add a Subject line... but when it the text is forwarded to the email address the subject words are all stripped off.
I don't care what the phone allows, the protocol doesn't allow it. So any subject line you add is just part of the 160 characters of text that SMS allows. If the app sends a 160 character block as the "subject" before sending the text, and another Note 4 interprets the first block as the subject (and doesn't show one if it comes over blank), that's not something you can do on anything other than that app, and it completely violates RFC 5724, which is the written specification for Short Message Service. If the Note 4 text app extends the scheme to include a "Subject" field, other software that's written to understand SMS MUST (not may or can - must) ignore the extension.

Anyone can write anything, but once a developer or company strays from the standards, unless they're proposing a new standard (like iMessage), it's not going to last. (See Radio Shack's 3-wire 5 Volt "RS-232" serial interface, or the Super Disk.) And if it's to be a standard it has to be disclosed (unlike iMessage which only survives because Apple sells so many iPhones - it still had to be modified to be able to handle SMS.)

In this case, the email app is only reading the SMS <body> field if it's a direct forward (IOW, you press a button to forward to an email address). If you're using an SMS-to-email gateway, it's required, by the RFC, to ignore any special fields or formats - which means that it ignores the subject line. It has to if it's to meet the SMS standard.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

I have never known you could text to an email address. I just did it. Was this new with android and ios?

I should just try one of those re-birthing sessions and start my life all over again. :)

Heavens to goodness!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez