Why can't I play videos on my Samsung Galaxy S 10.5?

A

AC Question

OK. So I am aware that the S has limitations about which video it will play. I have tried both Video Converter Ultimate and Pavtube Video Converter Ultimate. Followed instructions for both ie choose the Samsung Galaxy Tab S output option. I load them on to the SD card but get the "cannot play this video" message. I have tried the native player, also MX Player and VLC. No luck with any.
Clearly, it is user error but I am out of ideas. One reason for buying it was to watch movies but it has drawn a blank. BTW the sample video works fine.
Are there native codecs on the device I may have accidentally deleted or corrupted?
All help appreciated.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! What video formats are you trying to play? Do they play if you transfer the video file onto Internal Storage, instead of the SD card? Remember that KitKat imposes restrictions on how apps can access the SD card--apps have to have express permission to access the SD card, and only in folders that the app creates.

Davo21

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I just saw it because of the time difference [I am in Australia]

What format?

I have tried two programmes to convert:
1. Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate.

2. Pavtube Video Converter Ultimate

Followed instructions, selected the Tab S option for both converters.. Strangely, this produces rather large output MP4s, around 1.5Gb. I have tried transferring the videos to the devices SD and also internal memory. None will work using the native video player, MX or VLC. When I connect the device via USB cable and start a transfer I tend to get the message that "this video may not play, do you want to convert" If I choose No, it won't play. If I choose Yes it converts to WMV, which will play, but it's not what I want. I prefer MP4.

Here's the strange thing. I have 2 MP4 videos on the SD I put on a few weeks back. Both play flawlessly. I used GSpot to find the codecs used. If I set either converter as close as I can to the same parameters, I still have no luck!! Go figure.

Can I have accidentally upset the default codecs in the Tab S? Can I reset them?

Your help is greatly appreciated as I want to use the device extensively for video.

Thanks

Davo21

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
The originals are in mp4 or mkv format, around 750-1000 mbs. I downloaded Freemake as you suggested and converted one video using the Galaxy Tab P100 option, which seemed closest. It turned a 830Mb file into a 2.4Gb file which still will not work on my device.

Can I approach this another way. I read somewhere that because of the limited number of video formats this device supports there are 2 ways to deal with it. One is to convert [which I've tried] the other is to install a player like MX or VLC which plays a broader range. Is that true? Because if it is, I have a problem because neither of those apps will play videos either.

Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
How about uploading to your Google Drive or Google+ Photos? They should support mp4, but not mkv. But you could at least try the mp4 videos that way.

Another question--where are these videos from? If there was any copy protection involved, that might prevent the converted file from being playable.

Davo21

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
None have any copy protection issues. All play perfectly on my Samsung Bluray connected to the TV and on my laptop. It is only the tablet I am having issues with.

Are there any other owners/users of the same device who might let me know if the issues I am having are common to the Galaxy S 10.5 perhaps. If so, I will put it down to experience. I suspect though, it is some basic user error on my part. BTW I have a Nexus 7 and it will play just about anything.

All assistance appreciated.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87