I have a younger cousin who tried guessing my pattern lock on my phone, and got it incorrect enough that my phone asked me for my backup pin number. However, I completely forgot I even set a pin code. So I went into device manager to lock my phone with a new password. It shows that it was successfully reset, but each time I enter the password, my phone is saying that it is incorrect.

I changed the password to 'xxxxx', and it is saying it was successfully reset. But when I enter that password on my device, it is telling me that the password is wrong anyway. Does anyone know what might be up ? It is a Samsung Galaxy S4.

Thank you !
    - Dylan
    02-24-2015 06:38 PM
    Hello. It sometimes takes a while.
    Did it show that ADM had set a lock on the S4 screen?
    Try rebooting the phone and waiting for the new setting.

Otherwise set a new lock again, and add a message for the screen. At least you will know when it has arrived.
    02-24-2015 06:57 PM
    You may also want to consider demanding compensation from this cousin, or whoever is legally responsible for the cousin's actions.

Posted via the Android Central App
    02-25-2015 06:33 AM
    02-25-2015 01:15 PM
    You may also want to consider demanding compensation from this cousin, or whoever is legally responsible for the cousin's actions.

She's just a little kid trying to play, she didn't realize you could get locked out of it.
    anon8380037 and belodion like this.
    02-25-2015 03:34 PM
    I'm just really wanting to avoid having to do a factory reset.

Hopefully we can figure this out soon :(
    02-25-2015 03:38 PM
    She's just a little kid trying to play, she didn't realize you could get locked out of it.
    I'm sorry, I was imagining an older type of cousin!

Pleiades33 likes this.
    02-25-2015 04:19 PM
    Are you logged in to ADM on a pc? Do you have any other device on your account?

I don't know if you mean xxxx or you entered a number.

So have you tried turning it off, then on, and send another Lock instruction if it is still running, trying 1234 say.

I don't know why it won't accept the pin you enter on ADM on a pc.

Try a 4 and 5 digit number, and a 5+ digit password (letters), if it will accept them.
    I don't know what else to suggest if it is registering the new lock instruction.

I will add a guide here:
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/and...ger-guide.html
    02-25-2015 04:25 PM
    Are you logged in to ADM on a pc? Do you have any other device on your account?

I don't know if you mean xxxx or you entered a number.

So have you tried turning it off, then on, and send another Lock instruction if it is still running, trying 1234 say.

I don't know why it won't accept the pin you enter on ADM on a pc.

Try a 4 and 5 digit number, and a 5+ digit password (letters), if it will accept them.
    I don't know what else to suggest if it is registering the new lock instruction.
    Okay, I just restarted it, and then set the password to '123456', and set that as my new lock message as well. IT asked me to enter the pin number, I entered it in, and then the same error message popped up. Here is a picture. It even changed the lock from asking me to enter a password to asking me to enter a pin number, yet it still won't accept it D;

How do I get into my phone if I don't remember the back up password?-password.jpg

EDIT; Do you think it could be because my phone's location services are turned off ?
    02-26-2015 11:45 AM
    I just locked my Samsung Note 3 from my Motorola G. It's been a while since I tried it, but it got me out of trouble once.

ADM asked for a 'password' on the page.
    I don't know if a pin number still works.
    I put a message "Thanks for finding my phone..." and a fake contact number.
    I got a small scare when I couldn't bring up an unlock screen without pressing the dial button first.

A password worked for me. 'mercedes'
    It may need to verify the password with your Google account online, or the lock is already built in.
    We both didn't bother with Locate, so I don't think Location cones in to it.

Try with a password and check you have a decent signal.
    I think you get 10 goes with every new lock.

Pics to follow -
    02-26-2015 12:23 PM
    On Edit:

I usually have a swipe to Lock only, so when the screen locked just now it asked for a pin (number), but entering 'mercedes' again unlocked it and I then set Lock to swipe.

I checked and you don't need Location to Lock and Unlock, you only need it to Locate the device on a map.

02-26-2015 12:27 PM
    I just tried that, and still isn't working for me :(

How do I get into my phone if I don't remember the back up password?-passwordspart1.jpg
    How do I get into my phone if I don't remember the back up password?-passwordpart2.jpg
    02-26-2015 04:08 PM
    It looks like you do it right, unless there is a digit wrongly entered somewhere. I would have to be with it.
    Try the help pages in Google.

It would be a shame if you reset it and it was one little thing.
    If you found a real live guru in a carrier or repair store that could try it.

I don't know what keyboard that is or if the screen is offset by a magnet or something.

I would keep trying different ways, or the same code a few times. Something might hit you!

You're welcome to ask in that ADM thread, or start this again in General Help and How To or Introductions or here.

It's an odd one. Good luck.

Sent from my XT1039
    Pleiades33 likes this.
    02-26-2015 04:36 PM
    Thank you so much for your help <3

I think I'm going to head to the local Verizon store and see if they can mess with it some.
    anon8380037 likes this.
    02-26-2015 05:14 PM
    Alright I went down there and they ended up having to do a factory reset.

Luckily though, my apps and contacts were backed up on my google account so I managed to save those
    anon8380037 likes this.
    03-01-2015 01:42 PM