How many gigs can be used before sprint finds out?

A

AC Question

I rooted my phone about two months ago and used most of the gigs for Netflix, my iPad and general phone usage. Obviously the amount used went up significantly. My first month I used 80 gigs, but really knocked it down to about 14 for fear of them finding out.

At what point would sprint find out and what would happen? Also, can it affect your 4g signal access?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Finding out what? How much data are you allowed on your plan? (They know exactly how much data you're using, it has nothing to do with whether the phone is rooted or not.) If your plan is XGB then 64kbps, that's what you'll get. You're still on 4G, but you're throttled to 64kbps. If you have fully unlimited data at full speed, you can use as much as you want and it won't affect anything.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central.

Yes. Using it as a hotspot.

I can't advise you on US carriers, but this has been raised before so you should get an answer here, or in the carrier and device forum.

(I have unlimited data but a 4gb tethering / hotspot allowance in the UK.)

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't push it too much further. All carriers have written into their TOS that they can throttle your data for any reason if they suspect abuse or anyone who is impacting the service for other users.

You can probably get away with 80GB this month but I would not make that a habit every month. You're just asking for trouble.