Why does my WiFi not Turn on At All after Lollipop Update on My Galaxy S5?

A

AC Question

Hi,

Recently, about 2 weeks ago, I updated my software to Lollipop and had no issues with my wifi connection. Due to battery drain I attempted a Settings Reset which did not fix the issue. I did not want to try a factory reset at the time.

Shortly after the Settings Reset, I ran into the current problem I am having. My WiFi wont turn on at all. It permanently remains off. In the WiFi screen itself the bar remains on off, though I can drag it to the on side, but it will not stay or turn green. It remains gray when I drag it.

There is the same problem with the quick access menu. I can highlight the button and it will look green, but as soon as I move my finger it changes to gray. It will not connect at all. I had read about possible solutions for the same issue on older operating systems and thus far have attempted the same setting reset, pulling the battery, booting in safe mode, and also using the cache wipe. Nothing seems to have fixed the issue.

I also read that a factory reset "may" fix it, however there was no guarantee. As I don't want to lose any settings or information, including call logs, text messages etc, I don't want to do a factory reset if it wont fix the problem for sure, or if the problem will come back. Is it possible an update is coming to fix this? Has anyone else encountered the same problem?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Marigona Muhaxhiri1

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I just got the update and nothing worked for me. But as i looked closer I found a solution that not always works but most of the time it does. Got to Settings > Wi-Fi > Go to Help > Turning Wi-Fi on or off > Start Now and it opens the Wi - Fi connections.
Hope it will help you :)

Sole07

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problems on my HTC One M9. After calling tmobile and htc, the final solution was to do a factory reset. No problems after that.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Greg Fishman

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
Going to Settings -> Backup and Rest -> Reset Settings worked for me. I tried the soft reset and deleting the cache, but neither fixed it. Resetting the settings worked with doing a factory reboot, which is something I really didn't want to do.

IrishxAKAxEd

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
I may be wrong but I don't think anyone understands what they mean. It's not the connection to the wifi, the wifi will not switch on. My phone has the same problem it states the wifi is turning on but the slider is set to off. Sometimes it moves to on but then switches itself back off. Any ideas?

Edit: oh and factory reset and wiping the cache does not resolve the problem.

Nelsinh0

Nov 11, 2016
Visit site
I just got the update and nothing worked for me. But as i looked closer I found a solution that not always works but most of the time it does. Got to Settings > Wi-Fi > Go to Help > Turning Wi-Fi on or off > Start Now and it opens the Wi - Fi connections.
Hope it will help you :)

I got this problem after 2 years of having my phone, and this was the solution!, thank you very much!!

Jaxon Legacy

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
U know what I think? I think those goddy pencil pushers over at Samsung send out command signals that causes our phones to run into problems as simple as connecting to wifi. My phone was perfectly fine until the week the galaxy s7 was released. I ran into similar problem with my galaxy s3 when the galaxy note 4 and s6 came out. That makes two occasions where my phone wouldn't function properly near the time when newer (and more expensive) products were released. I'm guessing next year when the s8 is released my phone will turn off randomly or drop calls or in light of the galaxy note 7 and hoverboards, randomly blow up. So if anyone who works at Samsung is reading this at the moment you can take your factory resets, phone restarting, battery replacement, cache wipes and shove them up your ***.

Nick Phipps

Sep 1, 2017
Visit site
Vicky - You are a star! I have tried many fixes over the last three days for this issue from several different Forums and none have worked - Yours - the simplest and quickest of them all has fixed my much loved Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 SM P900
For others struggling with this I was using a Sandisk 64Gb micro SD that had been in the tab for a couple of years and had been fine until the Android Lollipop 5.0.2 firmware update. took the micro SD out and rebooted and the P900 immediately connected to WI-FI and then re ran the install part of the update and its fixed Hurrah!!!

madugian

Sep 17, 2017
Visit site
Hey all... So I'm temporarily using an S5 given to me by a friend. Before she gave it to me she wiped it after she'd transferred her data. She took out her micro sd card. Now I can't turn on my wifi... Can anyone help me with that? Thanks.