Is there a way to keep parts of 4.4.2 kernel in 4.4.4+?

A

AC Question

I recently replaced the screen of my nexus 4 and found that the new digitizer only works with android 4.4.2 due to it being calibrated to that kernel. Is there a way to save that part of the kernel (touchscreen) and use it with newer kernels? Is there a workaround where I can calibrate the touchscreen to the new kernels? Basically, is there any way I can ever update my nexus 4 without loosing all touchscreen functionality?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I recently replaced the screen of my nexus 4 and found that the new digitizer only works with android 4.4.2 due to it being calibrated to that kernel. Is there a way to save that part of the kernel (touchscreen) and use it with newer kernels? Is there a workaround where I can calibrate the touchscreen to the new kernels? Basically, is there any way I can ever update my nexus 4 without loosing all touchscreen functionality?

That feature is built into the kernel. You'll need to find a kernel that is updated to include those features. Otherwise, you won't be able to update and keep certain settings from the older version.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
A copy/paste into the source code of the kernel, in a few places at least, is possible. Then you have to compile the source code. then you have to make the runnable code flashable. (IOW, if you have to ask,m you're a few years away from being able to do it without someone sitting there showing you what to do step by step. First, you have to be able to read the code, so you know what to copy and, when you paste it, how to integrate it into the 4.4.4 code.)

Bottom line is "no". I'm assuming that there are updates to later ROMs for the N4 (later than 4.4.2) and that they work with the stock touchscreen, so it would seem that your problem is that the touchscren you installed isn't stock, it's an aftermarket replacement that's not the same as the original. IOW, it's not really a Nexus 4 touchscreen, it's just one that fits the phone. It's probably a lot cheaper than a real stock one too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez