Question How long can Google account manager keep signed in?

zack24

Feb 19, 2024
Visit site
I'm considering buying an old tablet, with an android version (5.0) that I assume will lose sign-in abilities this year. So I'm wondering how long account manager stays signed in for to know if it'd be worth it?

So basically, if I brought it now and signed in while it's still able to, how many years would I then have of being signed in?

Also, is there a way to extend or infinitize the sign in length?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I don't know this for sure, but I would guess that once Google stops support for Lollipop, all sorts of errors will occur. I would recommend against getting the tablet, because in addition to the above issue, you'd also be less secure (there are a LOT of unpatched security flaws), and more and more major apps will likely lose support in the very near future.

Bla1ze

Community Manager
Staff member
Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
In the past, Google has allowed them forever but you have to agree to use the "less secure" option on your Google account and it won't work for Workspace accounts. However, as @B. Diddy stated no one really knows for sure if that will continue.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
It's Google Play Services and Play Store access that Google has cut off for Android older than 5. You can still log into your Google account on devices running Android as old as 3.

Google cut off account access for devices running Android 2.3.7 and older for security reasons.

zack24

Feb 19, 2024
Visit site
It's Google Play Services and Play Store access that Google has cut off for Android older than 5. You can still log into your Google account on devices running Android as old as 3.

Google cut off account access for devices running Android 2.3.7 and older for security reasons.

This is not the case, as I can confirm 4.0.4 hasn't been able to sign in for a good while now. Maybe you're thinking of browser sign ins which wasn't what I was meaning

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
This is not the case, as I can confirm 4.0.4 hasn't been able to sign in for a good while now. Maybe you're thinking of browser sign ins which wasn't what I was meaning
Google may have bumped the required version since that help page was written. I didn't see a date, or I just missed it, so it could have been old.