How difficult is it to design an app?

A

AC Question

Is there a team that works with you on the app or are you come with the details of the app and the app department makes it a reality?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You learn computer programming. Then you learn Java. Then you learn the Android environment. Then you write the app. The same as any other computer program (which is what an app is).

If you have an idea and want to make an app to do what your idea is, you hire an experienced Android app developer (someone with at least 5 well-selling apps on the Play Store). Expect to pay $50/hour and up for his time, and expect it to take at least a month of 40 hour weeks (IOW, about $8,000 minimum. If it's a complex app, you can add a zero or two. Programming isn't brain surgery, but they have one thing in common - you can't just go out and do it, you need a lot of training and a lot of supervised experience before you're good at it.)

There's no "app department", unless you work for a company that has one. The only "team" you'll get is one you hire.

Everyone has ideas. A few people turn them into apps. A tiny percentage of those people actually know what they're doing, and create a really good app. Most Android apps are "drag and drop controls onto a form, check a few boxes, write some text and you have an app". And it's the kind of app that gets terrible reviews, and almost no one uses.

(I've been developing systems, hardware and software, for over 40 years, and still can't write anything but the most trivial Android app, because I haven't really learned the Android environment yet. But things I wrote decades ago for other environments are still being used now. So writing a good Android app isn't something you pick up in a weekend or a year, it takes 6 months just to learn the basics of programming itself well enough that you're thinking about the program you're writing, and not how to write a program. If you have to sound out each word you read, you can't really read well. If you have to try to figure out how to make something happen 3 times in 5 seconds, you're not a programmer.)