What Apps can be uninstalled?

Clo03

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
I own a note 3 and I do not have enough memory to download new apps or to update my Gmail ... are there any built in apps that I can uninstall without affecting how other apps run?
Also I'm assuming that I can free up much space by saving my pictures and videos to a microsd card? Any advice on how to properly do that without corrupting my files?
Thank you,
Clo03

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I own a note 3 and I do not have enough memory to download new apps or to update my Gmail ... are there any built in apps that I can uninstall without affecting how other apps run?
Also I'm assuming that I can free up much space by saving my pictures and videos to a microsd card? Any advice on how to properly do that without corrupting my files?
Thank you,
Clo03

Welcome to Android Central!

Easiest thing to do is go to your settings, applications, all apps, and scroll through the non system app that you do but use. Click on them and see if there is an option to uninstall it.

Current devices: T-Mobile Galaxy S6, Surface Pro 3 Core I5, Nexus 9, and Moto 360

Past Devices - Phones: Galaxy Note 4, Nexus 6, Nexus 5, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus S, Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy S5, Galaxy S4, Galaxy S3, Galaxy S2, HTC Incredible, HTC EVO 4G, HTC EVO, HTC Hero, Motorola Photon.

Tablets: Nexus 7 (2013), Nexus 7 (2012), Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 Windows 8.1, Dell Venue 8, Galaxy Tab Pro, Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition, Galaxy Note 10.1, Galaxy Note 8, Kindle Fire HD 8.4, Kindle Fire HD 7, Kindle Fire, iPad 2, iPad 1, Nook HD, Nook.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Almost all your carrier's apps can be uninstalled. (The phone has to be rooted to do that.) To save your pictures and videos to an SD card, first get a good SD card. The cheaper the card, the more the chance of corruption. (Someone on eBay was selling "SanDisk 64GB" microSD cards for about $10 a few months ago. I guarantee they weren't SanDisk and they weren't 64GB. A real one might be on sale for as low as $25-$30 these days.)

I wouldn't uninstall the apps, because you can't change your mind and reinstall one later. Freeze them (you can use Link2SD). If the phone works for a while with no problems, uninstall the frozen app. If it starts acting up because the app can't run, just unfreeze the app.

Some Chinese operations take old 2GB and 4GB cards, reprogram them (there's a little computer in there, not just a memory chip) to say that they're 64GB or 128GB, reprint the outside to look like SanDisk (since they're the best, and the ink cost the same whether you're printing SanDisk or Joe's Cards - and they print the paper cards they come in from pictures of the real ones, so they look real too) and sell them cheaply. As soon as you store more than the actual size of the memory chip (2GB or 4GB), the chip gets corrupted (you're saving data where information the controller needs should be) and you lost everything. That's why you should never move, you should copy. Then check the copy (the files on the card). If the copy is good, you can delete the originals. ("Move" is just "copy, then delete".) Then copy the card to your computer. Then copy it to a cloud account or two. ("Too many backups" is 3 words meaning nothing.)

When you put a new card into the phone, run SD Insight. If the 64GB card is 4GB, or if it was made in 1970, you know you've bought a counterfeit card.

If you're running KitKat or above, you may have to root the phone anyway, and run an app like NextApp SDFix: KitKat Writable MicroSD (root) to be able to save things indiscriminately on the SD card for a while. Some apps just can't write to the SD card in KitKat and Lollipop yet.

As far as the actual copying, use Total Commander or plug the phone into a computer and drag and drop.

Clo03

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for your reply ... are there any apps installed by manufacturer that I don't need and that will not affect the running of my other apps if uninstalled?

Thank you,

Clo03

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your reply ... are there any apps installed by manufacturer that I don't need and that will not affect the running of my other apps if uninstalled?

Thank you,

Clo03

The ones that the manufacture put on there that you can un-install are probably not needed. You wont be able to uninstall anything vital, it wont let you.