How do I delete email from Galaxy S6 without them being deleted from my computer?

A

AC Question

When I delete email from my Galaxy S6, the email is also deleted from my computer's Outlook program ... not even showing up in the deleted emails. How can I just remove them from the phone without changing anything in my computer?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
When I delete email from my Galaxy S6, the email is also deleted from my computer's Outlook program
That's because you have the account set up as an IMAP account, so the emails are saved on the server. When you delete an email it's deleted from the server, so it's gone.

If you want them to stay even after you delete them on the phone, change the account to POP3 (and change both the Outlook and phone settings to POP3). Then the emails are saved locally and what you delete (unless you have the "leave deleted emails on server" box unchecked) only deletes from that device. You'll periodically have to log into the webmail site to clean things up or you'll have thousands of emails on the site, you'll fill your account and stop receiving new emails.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
To avoid going to POP3 and putting up with all its limitations, having to do periodic manual cleanouts, etc, you could just not delete them on the phone. If you don't want a lot of email on the phone just set it to sync a small number of emails, maybe 25 or even less, whatever works for you. No need to change a anything on your computer that way either.

Or, some email clients, for example AquaMail, offer the option to send deleted mail to a Deleted folder, where they are still available, delete immediately on the server or hide them in the app but keep them on the server.

You have lotsa options with IMAP.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

Snarkle

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
Easy!!!
I just got an Samsung Note 5 and discovered that my emails were being deleted off my server as well. I simply clicked on my email address under Email Settings.
Then I scrolled down to Incoming server settings and clicked that.
At the bottom it says: Delete email from server:When deleted from Inbox (click the arrow down)
Click the arrow down and you can click Never

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LordNikonX