Question Can't receive pics when emailed from computer.

Toadman

Aug 23, 2023
Visit site
Hello, I'm new here so this is prob in the wrong place. I have a Samsung A14 through Metro PCS. All was good until lately. I can receive and send pics from phone to phone. I can send pics from phone to my computer. But when I send pics from either of my two computers to my phone nothing comes in, not the email or the pic. If I send an email without a pic it does come in. I am sending from computer to my phone number, not a Gmail or anything else, just directly to my number. This worked before so what could have changed? Any ideas? Thanks.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
E-mail to MMS is solely a carrier feature, so if this stopped working, this had to be a change on the carrier's side. It can either be that they don't support that anymore or they may have changed the corresponding e-mail address (i.e. 1234567890@carrier.com may now be +1234567890@carrier.mms.com or something like that). Also check that they push the right carrier settings to your phone if, for any reason, these may have been changed.

Toadman

Aug 23, 2023
Visit site
E-mail to MMS is solely a carrier feature, so if this stopped working, this had to be a change on the carrier's side. It can either be that they don't support that anymore or they may have changed the corresponding e-mail address (i.e. 1234567890@carrier.com may now be +1234567890@carrier.mms.com or something like that). Also check that they push the right carrier settings to your phone if, for any reason, these may have been changed.
Thanks much! I'll check that...

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Since you're able to send regular text that shows it isn't a carrier or device issue and is likely related to size but could also be related to format somehow. Perhaps if you pasted the image into the message rather than attaching it as an attachment it would work.

While we can only assume your reasoning for wanting to do this in this way there are easier ways to send images to your SMS from a computer. There are many SMS companion apps that allow you to send messages just like you would from your phone and depending on which SMS app you are using the app itself may have a companion. Verizon's Messages+ has one, as does Next SMS and Google Messages has a Chrome extension but also offers other ways to message from a browser, just to name a few. There better easier ways, and personally I hate having email addresses in my SMS. Granted it is your email so maybe less annoying but still.

Toadman

Aug 23, 2023
Visit site
Since you're able to send regular text that shows it isn't a carrier or device issue and is likely related to size but could also be related to format somehow. Perhaps if you pasted the image into the message rather than attaching it as an attachment it would work.

While we can only assume your reasoning for wanting to do this in this way there are easier ways to send images to your SMS from a computer. There are many SMS companion apps that allow you to send messages just like you would from your phone and depending on which SMS app you are using the app itself may have a companion. Verizon's Messages+ has one, as does Next SMS and Google Messages has a Chrome extension but also offers other ways to message from a browser, just to name a few. There better easier ways, and personally I hate having email addresses in my SMS. Granted it is your email so maybe less annoying but still.
Thanks much for the info. I only send from my computer to my phone, not anybody else. But I will check the apps and see how that goes. I just don't know why it worked the way I did it for years until lately but who know.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Have you considered using Google Photos? If you use Google Photos in the cloud for automatic backup, then the photo is immediately available to any other device that you're signed into. https://support.google.com/photos/answer/6193313?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Android

If you don't want to automatically back up photos, you can also use the Share option to upload an individual photo to your Google Photos.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Yes, good point @B. Diddy. Photos, Dropbox and other similar services offer this and then you could forgo texting altogether. And transferring to the device or memory.

As for why it stopped working maybe it is carrier related, I can't really call it on that one. Did you get a new device lately, have a major update or anything like that?

Toadman

Aug 23, 2023
Visit site
Thanks all, I'll check into the apps. I really like it to just work as it did. New phone, Yes a few months ago but it worked as my old one did until about one month ago. No major updates that I know of. I'm going to the metro store and see if they know how to get it back like it was, but I doubt they will know.