Galaxy S5 Active battery Drain & charging issue - Just started happening

A

AC Question

I have a AT&T S5 Active (model G870A). I am running Android 5.0. Up until yesterday my device has been running great. It was 108 degrees where I live yesterday and I noticed it get very hot while using. I do have it in a Body Glove Carbon Fiber case and it felt hotter than it's ever been. Then I noticed the battery started going down faster than usual and when I plug in my charger it shows it's charging but keeps beeping like it does when you first plug it in. It does charge but very slowly even when I put the device on Energy Saving Mode & Airplane mode.

I read some other threads and it seems like most were due to the Lollipop update and the only fix was to do a hard reset. I updated my device on 6/18 but last week there was a security update that I did but all was still working fine. Could this be because my phone overheated yesterday? Can overheating destroy a battery?

I work from my device 90% of the time so I can't afford to lose my battery time. I really can't afford to do a factory reset either but understand sometimes that is the only way.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The battery should be usable (IOW, you can draw power from it) until it reaches 140 degrees F. But 108 degrees in the air, and in a carbon fiber case, could have brought the battery above that and cooked it a bit. The only way to tell is to look at the charge and discharge curves (and have the experience to interpret them), but an S5 battery isn't expensive if you have to replace it. (I wouldn't keep it in that case, though, until the temperatures dropped into the 80s.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty