Why did I receive a Software Update Patch for Critical Security Vulnerability (StageFright)?

A

AC Question

The size of the file is noted at 7.34mb and the software update is version 3.19.140342. Unknown if this is from Samsung, Sprint, or other. The software update has been downloaded, and is requesting me to install it. Is this a legitimate software update patch from Samsung or Sprint? My phone is a Samsung S4 mini. Please comment back, as I have not installed the update yet (it's been postponed for now). Also, will this update change any of my settings, contacts, pictures, apps, etc., on my phone? Please advise. Thanks!

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
There is a patch for this "Stagefright" security vulnerability making the rounds now. It is small, in megabytes, so yours sounds like the legitimate version. As with all Android OS updates, it begins with Google but has to get adapted for the various carrier-phone combinations, so it wanders out gradually.

I cannot speak for your specific setup, but I installed this on my Nexus 5 on ATT with no trouble. Often an OS update benefits from a cache partition clear afterwards, but no, this should not change any of the settings or personal data on your phone (still a good idea to have everything backed up - most of this should be automated by your phone but one more check of the settings never hurts).

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Samsung, due to the fact that Stagefright vulnerability has been part of Android for a few years now without being fixed, has promised to send out security updates about once a month (or as often as needed), A lot of us with Samsung phones have gotten that update and, aside from the Stagefright Detector App reporting that my phone is lo longer vulnerable, nothing has changed. (Expect an update for Certifi-gate soon, that's another big problem. You can use Certifi-gate Scanner to check whether you phone is vulnerable [it most likely is] and whether it is after you get another security update [it probably won't be].)