First Android Phone Recommendation

Shatznr

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
I am moving over from the Windows Phone world, and I am looking for advice on my first Android Phone. I was looking at the moto g and moto x. I need a decent camera and do not want a phone to feel laggy.

Is there another device that is in the price range of the moto x that I should be looking at?

Also honestly - any other constructive advice would be appreciated.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Both of those are good choices--the latest Moto G has gotten universal praise for being a premium-level phone for a budget price.

Are you looking to buy a phone unlocked, and not through a carrier? Is your budget up to around $400 (US)?

Shatznr

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
My budget can go higher - I am just getting up to speed on the android market. I want to make sure I get a device that does not have problems getting updates when new software releases come out.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
System updates aren't always the end-all-be-all. There are plenty of times when people comment here on how they want to roll back the update to the previous version, due to various bugs or undesired modifications or "improvements." But if they're still very important to you, then the Nexus line is your best bet. The Nexus 6 (Motorola) is very good, but the camera has a reputation for being relatively mediocre. The Nexus 5X (LG) and 6P (HuaweI) are right around the corner, so you may want to wait a little bit and see what they're like.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm a former Windows Phone user. I decided to try out the 2013 Moto X, since I was disappointed with the situation with apps on Windows Phone and the lack of flagship devices.

I liked the 2013 Moto X so much that I ordered the 2015 Moto X Pure Edition. It hasn't arrived yet, but I should have it soon. I also have a 2013 Nexus 7 tablet.

I haven't experienced any lag on either the 2013 Moto X or the 2013 Nexus 7, so I'm not concerned about lag on the 2015 Moto X Pure Edition.

The 2013 Moto X doesn't have the greatest camera, but it isn't any worse than that of the Lumia 920, which is what I used previously. I know that the 2015 Moto X Pure Edition has a better camera than the 2013 Moto X.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
OK my 2¢...

IMHO the most important thing is the software, not the hardware. And plain vanilla Android is far better than Android gummed up by overlays like Sense or Touchwiz, which are deeply ingrained into the OS.

Pure Android runs faster and smoother than Android burdened by manufacturer customization, which are bloated, actually, and often buggy. Sorry, but they are, face it. If you don't like lag, if you do like smooth, and if you want fast OS updates, then you definitely want pure Android.

Fortunately, you have some fine hardware available running vanilla Android. The Moto units that have been mentioned. The new Nexus devices should be very nice. And the Nexus 6, at the price you can buy it for right now is a terrific deal, a buttery-smooth running premium device at a mid-range price. My wife and I both have one. BTW I think the camera is not bad, maybe has gotten an undeserved reputation. Kinda weak in low light yes, but good otherwise. We've taken lotsa good looking photos with ours.

Anyway, I don't think you would go wrong with any of those. Just pick one with the price and features that best suits your needs.

Android since v1.0. Linux since 2001

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non