Mystery file keeps showing up in Downloads folder

A

AC Question

Hi all,

I've got a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge and today I've gotten a notification from Dropbox several times saying "Tap to add 2811fb90a1302f to your Dropbox and view it anywhere." I looked through the file system and there it was in the Downloads folder. Doesn't have any file extensions but I'm not going to try to open it to see what it is. I've tried deleting it but it keeps coming back. The only other post on this I've found is on some Norwegian site (thanks, Google Translate) posted yesterday. Has anyone else encountered this recently?

I haven't opened any suspicious emails, gone to any strange websites, or downloaded any new apps in a while. Could this be a bug? A virus? Along with the Dropbox notification my antivirus seems to be scanning it but the notification disappears as soon as I see it. I've had the antivirus scan my phone but it didn't turn up anything. Any thoughts appreciated! (viruses aside, the notification is real annoying)

Cath Miller

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I think it is something to do with the Facebook app. I deleted the file, when on Facebook and it came straight back. It also said fb the file name. I don't know what it is tho and it's annoying !

Posted via the Android Central App

koziollz

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Having the same issues, and it seems to be affecting many people.

Here is a link to a reddit thread on this:
- can't post links yet so it's dubya dubya dubya dot reddit.com/r/AndroidQuestions/comments/3ouixm/mysterious_file_called_2811fb90a1302f_keeps/

I also posted in the bugs/problems forum on Dropbox:
- can't post links yet so it's dubya dubya dubya dot dropboxforum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/204277126-File-2811fb90a1302f-being-generated-in-Android-Downloads-directory-

Netsource

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
I have this problem too. But is seems it caused by Snapchat. it creates the file after you receive a snap from a person. I saw your post on reddit and some posted the source of the file. In this source I also saw the code: "Replayed: 0";

That says you have not replayed the snap. I don't know if this is a bug and snapchat will bring out a patch. If you don't want to receive the files, just simply remove the app or force close the app.

Loopylisa

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
So I keep checking back to see what I can do to get rid of this bug. Does anyone have any tips? I'm wondering if I need to just take it in to my cell phone provider. What are you guys doing, or what have you done to fix it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress