Solved Deleted Files In Downloads Folder

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
When I download a file (PDF or whatever), this is automatically saved in the 'Downloads' folder. If I don't need to keep it then I just delete it from 'Downloads' in the side panel on Chrome: job done.

If I do need to keep the file then I move it from the 'Downloads' folder to an appropriate separate one. However, when I delete the file from 'Downloads' in the side panel it also deletes it from whichever folder I've moved it to.

Why is this? Am I just stupid but I would have thought it would only delete it if it was still in the 'Downloads' folder, NOT from the completely different folder I've moved it to.

I've been meaning to ask this for a long time and the only work around I have is to share the file to Drive, delete it from the side panel and then download the file from Drive to wherever I want it.

Is this normal or, as I said, am I just stupid?

Solution
It's odd that you'd have to take extra steps after moving the file. Moving the file should remove it from the folder and not require any deleting after the fact. When you just want to delete you do it from the browser but how do you make the move? Are you using your file manager? After that how are you viewing the downloads folder to see if the file has moved or if it's still there? Is it possible that you're actually viewing the Recents folder? If you're actually viewing the Recents folder it doesn't matter where the file lives it will be deleted. I'm also wondering if you view it from the browser it somehow is still showing you the file even though you've moved it...? We need to know your method.

In the meantime let's say that you're...

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
It's odd that you'd have to take extra steps after moving the file. Moving the file should remove it from the folder and not require any deleting after the fact. When you just want to delete you do it from the browser but how do you make the move? Are you using your file manager? After that how are you viewing the downloads folder to see if the file has moved or if it's still there? Is it possible that you're actually viewing the Recents folder? If you're actually viewing the Recents folder it doesn't matter where the file lives it will be deleted. I'm also wondering if you view it from the browser it somehow is still showing you the file even though you've moved it...? We need to know your method.

In the meantime let's say that you're correct and the file appears to remain in the downloads folder and then is deleted from where you moved it when you attempt to remove it from the downloads folder, what happens if instead of "move" you do "copy"? Have you tried copying instead and then deleting the file from downloads? There should be two separate files at that point and only the one selected should be removed. Answer my other questions though cause it really shouldn't remain in the downloads folder if you're using move and therefore there should be nothing to delete. It's a lot of extra steps it seems like.

Let us know and we'll offer more advice.

Reactions: Sizzers
Solution

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
When I move the file from the Downloads folder to a new one the file no longer shows in Downloads and I'm not confusing anything with Recents.

In order this is what I meant by deleting downloads from the side panel in the screenshots underneath which I hope makes some sense!!

However I followed your tip and tested a download, copying it over to a separate folder. I deleted it from the side panel options as shown and as usual and expected it deleted from the Downloads folder.

However it DIDN'T delete i'll from the folder I'd copied it over to!

THANK YOU!!!

Attachments

• ONE.png
    ONE.png
    130.9 KB · Views: 5
  • TWO.png
    TWO.png
    58.1 KB · Views: 5
  • THREE.png
    THREE.png
    63.2 KB · Views: 5

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
No offence about the confusion statement, you have over 500 comments I'm sure you've seen more than a few times people have confused something for something else. In the meantime I'm glad this method worked for you. I'm still confused why it would remain in the download list after being moved. However after seeing your images I wonder if it is somehow just saying that it was downloaded and tracks it, but then I would expect to see all of the other things you've downloaded, even the ones you've moved... Curious??? Anyway, I'm glad you now have a working method. I wonder if you used your file manager instead if you'd have different results? But since that is not how you're doing it that would still be an extra step to open a different app. Anyway, all's well that ends well.

Best wishes.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
On a side note your tagline reminds me of a song form the Romeo and Juliet soundtrack by the Butthole Surfers - Whatever. That was my favorite song from that soundtrack and John Leguizamo delivered my favorite line of the movie in the open scene at the gas station, which also involved fire. hahaha.

Just felt compelled to share.