Help removing sold phone from google profile

A

AC Question

I recently sold a Note 5 that I had been using through eBay and I did a factory reset before selling the phone. The factory reset worked and the phone displayed the "set up" screen like it did when I first got it. I was just contacted by the buyer saying the phone won't allow him to finish the setup because it was previously used with another gmail account. Is there anyway I can remotely remove that phone from my account so that the buyer can use it? I've sold many phones and have never experienced this issue it must be a new thing.

Tumultus

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
  1. Go to google.com and click on SIGN IN at the upper right
  2. Once signed in, click on your email address at the upper right and select MY ACCOUNT
  3. Under SIGN IN & SECURITY click on DEVICE ACTIVITY AND NOTIFICATIONS
  4. On the right part of the screen, locate RECENTLY USED DEVICES and click on REVIEW DEVICES
  5. Click on every single device which you want to remove and select REMOVE under account access

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The problem is that the phone still won't work for the person who bought the phone unless the seller actually helps the buyer log in with his/her Google account/password. This is Google's Factory Reset Protection, which is intended to discourage thieves from stealing a phone and doing a simple factory reset to make it their own. To properly reset a phone in order to sell it, you need to properly remove your Google account FIRST in Settings>Accounts. Once your Google account is removed, then you do the factory reset.