Gallery not populating with images downloaded using Firefox

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Strange problem here. When I download images using Firefox, these images do not show in Gallery. However, when I download images using Chrome, or manually move images into the Download folder, not only will those images show, but also the images I had downloaded earlier using Firefox.
So, seems like a Firefox problem. I cleared and reinstalled Firefox, but the problem remains.
Why this strange behavior from Firefox?
I'm using an LG G4, 5.1, rooted.

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Do you know which directory Firefox is downloading to? I'll bet it's some special download directory associated with Firefox, instead of the usual Downloads directory. Use a file manager and find that Firefox download directory, and see if there is a file called ".nomedia" there (or in any of its parent directories). If so, that will cause the system to ignore the directory when looking for images to add to the gallery. It probably won't help to delete the .nomedia file, because Firefox will probably create it again, so move the downloaded image file to some other directory (like Downloads or Pictures). Then the photo should appear in the Gallery.

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Actually, it is the Download folder on the internal SD. I checked with my file manager (ES file explorer) and confirmed that files I download are appearing there. I looked into the .nomedia thing, there is no file by that name, and yes, I looked for hidden files.
That wouldn't make sense anyway, because Chrome downloads to the exact same folder and photos appear in Gallery as soon as they're finished downloading. And as stated before, not only Chrome downloaded photos, but the ones I had previously downloaded with Firefox.
The behavior is definitely linked to the browser I'm using, but I don't know how. I cleared all data and reinstalled Firefox, but it had no effect.

Posted via the Android Central App