Why is WiFi is draining battery even when it's off?

A

AC Question

I'm using a Nexus 5, I recently upgraded to Marshmallow. For 4 or 5 days now, every day, my battery has been going down a lot faster. I know that the Nexus 5 is known for bad battery, but this is really bad. So I went to the battery stats in settings, and found the Wi-Fi was actually using the most of the battery, with around 25-35% average per day. When I clicked on the graph for more settings, it said that the Wi-Fi had been on for almost the whole day, even when I was in school. At first I thought I just forgot to turn off Wi-Fi that day, but the second day, again, Wi-Fi was draining, and I had not only made sure I turned it off, but I even set a Tasker profile to turn off Wi-Fi off. Still, this problem persists. It is a bug, or is Wi-Fi just not turning off? Thanks.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I've had a similar problem. I turn off WiFi, but it still drains the battery. Toggle WiFi on then of again. That seems to work.

I've also had that problem with GPS.

mrbrock72

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
My battery was running down much faster than normal and my wifi kept disconnecting and reconnecting every few minutes. I fixed it by going to Settings - Backup & Reset - Network Settings Reset. I then had to reconnect to my wifi and everything was back to normal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance