Factory resetting Galaxy S3, question on backing up

shrike-tyrant

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
Hi all!

So, I'm factory-resetting my S3. Want to wipe it clean and start with a fresh OS (for various reasons). I've used Super Backup to backup my apps, my SMS messages, call logs, and calendar. All of these are on an external card.

My only concern is regarding the apps - after resetting, can I simply install the backed up .apks and get my apps back?

Thanks!

spagman

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
If the backup app you used to create the backup of your apps included data backup ... You should be fine.

You're the only one that knows what settings you chose.

shrike-tyrant

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the reply!

I believe that the app data is included. What I have in the external backup folder are individual .apk files, and corresponding folders called com.appname that contain subdirectories titled var/lib/cache/conf/files/etc.

I assume those are appdata folders I'd need to restore the apps on a fresh OS installation?

Thanks!

spagman

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Well.. Try doing this:
Find an app / or install an app that uses app data.. Like a notepad / to do list app.

Create some content... Make a list / draw something... just to create some data..... Then back up the app and data with the same tool you used before.
After you made the backup Uninstall the app from your phone and then try to restore the app from your backup.
Check for the data... Then you will know for sure if it works

Spagman72

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Also if your phone has a custom recovery like TWRP It would be a great idea to make a nandroid backup... That way you have something to go back to if something goes wrong.

Also you can extract app and data from a nandroid backup using titanium backup.

Don't forget to backup your efs folder too.(that is if you have a custom recovery)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo