Phone stops charging every few minutes

A

AC Question

I've had my note 2 for several years (it's been dropped a few times, yeah) but recently, whenever I plug it in to charge, whether it's to an outlet or a battery pack, it's been having issues. It stops charging every 20-60 seconds, then immediately starts again, which turns on the screen and consumes the battery to the point where the charge doesn't even go up anymore. Sometimes, when I've just plugged it in, it'll charge fine for about half an hour, then start blinking out again. It's only been happening for a few days, but it's getting worse and worse, and it's seriously annoying. I haven't tried a different charging cable yet, but I'm planning to buy one this week. Any suggestions on what's causing this?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I think you hit it right in the head. It sounds like your cable is giving up. If the flat part of your plug faces up when the phone is laying on its back charging try placing something small on the plug, like an old phone or a paperback book and see it continues to blink in and out or you could place it face down with the plug propped up on a book. You're just trying to angle the plug in place a little bit so that it won't lose contact with the connector in the port. Don't go overboard and leverage the plug too much, this could damage the port. If this works a new cable should fix you right up. I suspect that the heat generated from charging is causing things to expand just enough to interrupt charging. It could also be the plug end but those are usually pretty robust. Usually. If you replace the whole thing watch that you get one that has equal voltage or better than your current setup or you may notice longer charging times. Called and plugs are fairly inexpensive depending where you shop but cheaper plugs usually have lower specs cables are pretty much universal.

Posted via the Android Central App

valpage

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
Op here. Yeah, I've already been using objects to lift up the plug a bit (if I don't, it doesn't charge at all). That's a good point about the heat causing things to move out of contact, though! Right now, the phone is pretty warm, since I've been trying to charge it for a bit, so I'm leaving it to cool off, and then I'll plug it back in. Also, an update- the screen constantly turning on was caused by an unread text message (I didn't see it because I have an overlay that pops up over my lock screen while charging, and because I'm dumb). However, the problem I mentioned has actually been occurring for a few days, just less often- usually what happens is that it stops charging and I have to jiggle the cable a little for it to get working again, which sucks when I try to charge it at night. It's been a real struggle keeping it charged. Anyway, I'll try a new cable, and report on how it works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton