Spam filter reached max 200? Cant add to spam folder

Bklyndude

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
So here is the issue. i am on a note 5 and i use the default email app on main screen for two accounts. Aol, and gmail. And I cant add email to spam folder on any. The exact message is. " total number of spam filter list entry reached maxium of 200. Now i could not find any info on online on how to clear that up. This was my last resort. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

VTvfr

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Open the mail app
Go to settings, spam addresses and then delete all of the addresses
In the future use your email program on the computer to filter out the addresses
I use the spam function on my phone and then in to Outlook later to mark them as spam, then I can delete them off my phone once I hit the 200 again

Millie McCarthy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I wanted to say thank you for all the help I have found on this site. I may not have the same problem at the same time, but I have had similar problems like this one about the spam reaching 200 max, and have found answers here.

f6gnz

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I am receiving many SPAMs and my SPAM filter is full. How to get more filter capacity over 200?
If I delete existing to add new, then the previously blocked will re-appear soon!

f6gnz

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I am using the IMAP account @free.fr and the email app I am using is the standard email app embedded in my Galaxy Note 4 phone. I blocked 200 email addresses sending SPAMs and still have the new ones coming in and SPAM filter says the list of 200 allowed is full.

f6gnz

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Already April 2017 and no answer when Android developers will or not increase the capacity of spam blocked addresses beyond too low 200 ! A 2k would be much more realistic figure.
Proposal to use PC Outlook to manage it is not a solution as there are manu smartphone users that do not have nor need a PC !

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
There are no Android developers here. We are just users, like you.

Filtering email for spam using the "from" address is a waste of time. The "from" field is never accurate.
Spam is best filtered by the email server. Use your computer or a web browser to mark the emails as spam.

If you do want to block the spam on the "from" field, you can delete the 100 oldest entries to make room. New spam will use new values for the "from" field.

f6gnz

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Joe,
Thanks for the suggestion. I am often away from my PC so wanted to manage my spams via the email application. But I do not understand why this app, which is using the same IMAP account as the Outlook on my PC, is not capable to make filtering identical to what my PC app is capable? I think Google developers could have done this, and do not understand why they did not!..

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
If your PC app is doing any spam filtering, it is able to do so because the CPU and other resources on your PC are much larger than what is on the phone. If your PC app is filtering email, most likely the PC app is not saving those filters to the email server, thus those filters cannot be seen by the server nor by any other app.

Still, most spam filtering is normally done on the email server.

Which phone email app are you using?

See if you can export your phone's spam filter, or copy the "from" filters to a file.
If so, you could add them to your server's filter list and delete them from the phone's filter list.

f6gnz

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi Joe, thanks for the clarification. On the PC I am using the Outlook 2010 Mail client. And it perfectly filters the SPAM sending it to the Junk email folder automatically when I open the application (providing I declared the mail address as SPAM previously).
On Android smartphone I am using the original Email app and also recently installed the MS Outlook application. On PC I also have access to the Webmail (Zimbra) of my ISP (Free.fr),
Before starting my PC Outlook application, SPAM mails are shown in the inbox of my PC Webmail and also on inbox of Android mail applications.
As soon as I start PC OL mail application, I visualise SPAMS in the OL inbox, but a few seconds later they are automatically moved tho the Junk email folder of Outlook Mail and a few seconds later also get updated in the PC Web email app and on both Android mail applications (they move from inbox to junk folder).
So, it is ONLY the PC Outlook that filters SPAM and reports the result to the ISP server. I can't find a way how to get the server to do the filtering itself! It seems there is no filter list on the server itself...

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Msft's Outlook program is a powerful PC email client.
The spam filtering outlook.exe does takes place after your server does its spam filtering, if your server does any spam filtering.

Take a look at the webmail interface to your email server. It may give you some server-side filtering options.

My main email is now through outlook.com (previously Hotmail.com), which has far fewer user-controlled spam filters than my previous ISP allowed.

f6gnz

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I just had a look into the SPAM filtering options of my ISP server: it is made to filter undesired messages via several criteria to be filled-in in a large form with many options, per EACH mail wanted to be filtered! This is good if one gets few SPAMS , and often originated from the same source, but when SPAMS are received by 5-10-20 each day, then it would take hours to manage them via the filtering form of this Server, while just a click on unwanted message in Outlook would memorise it as a spam and automatically move it to Junk Email folder next time it comes in!
So, I will have to continue using the PC OL to do the joband continue to receive SPAMs in my Android apps while I am away from home :) !...