Will a wireless charger solve my charging issues? Samsung Galaxy s5. Water damage?

A

AC Question

For a long time my samsung galaxy s5 has had charging problems where i have had to wiggle the charger around inside the charging point until it seems to make contact and start charging. A few weeks ago my phone stopped charging and when it was turned off a battery icon with a yellow triangle and exclamation mark would appear when plugged in. I took it to a repair shop and they sold me a new battery however nothing happened and the problem continued. After taking it in again they told me it was water damage and it would cost £160 to fix. I declined and instead left it in rice over night. The next day it was fine and charged well and did so for a few weeks. However the problem has returned just about 2 days ago. I have tried rice again but to no avail. I have tried with multiple chargers and plugs. At some points today i would be able to get it to charge but i would have to hold the charger in at an angle and i would try to leave it to charge but as soon as i let go it stopped. I am wondering whether it is damage to the charging port and i have looked into wireless charges as to avoid the issue. Thanks for any help or advice. p.s. the phone works fine it is just the charging

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The charging port is damaged, not dirty. It's a common problem. The shop owes you for a perfectly good battery. (Leaving a wet phone in rice is the WORST thing you can do - see Oh, no! My Phone got Wet!.)

("Have to hold the charger in at an angle" is as much a diagnostic term for "loose or defective charging port" as "his heart is disconnected from his body" is a diagnostic term for "he's dead".)

Assuming internal wireless charging points (I think the S5 has them), it will - but the charge will be 800mA, not the 1,200 or 1,800ma you're used to, so it'll take longer to charge. A charging port board for the S5 is about $10, it's virtually drop-in and will fix the problem the right way. (Look for s5 charging port on ebay.) Anyone who's worked on the internals of a cellphone can swap the bad and good ones in a couple of minutes.

Feb 23, 2017
Visit site
A wireless charger will absolutely help unless it has nothing to do with the charging port located on the phone. Wireless charging will resolve the problem but charging might be slower with it. If you want to save money, bring it to a repair shop to replace the charging port cause wireless charging gets a little bit pricy.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sem173