HTC 10 - Battery drain after Nougat Update

A

AC Question

Is anyone having similar issues with HTC 10 after update. Android OS and Android System are using 44% and 26% of battery, respectively.

I'm getting about half the battery life that i used to prior to the update

Wayne Peng

Feb 9, 2017
Visit site
Same here. I am doing nothing, but the battery keeps discharging... When I checked in the system both Android OS and system consume a lot battery. Reset and double-wiped my cell twice, no improvement. Did battery test, my battery seems good. Want to downgrade to Marshmallow, but don't know how...

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Back up all important data you may have and preform a factory data reset. When doing a major update to a new OS, wiping system cache partition doesn't always cut it, and a factory data reset using the newly updated recovery img is needed.

Wayne Peng

Feb 9, 2017
Visit site
try using it in safe mode or as stock without adding any apps. then gradually add 3rd party apps a few at a time and see if that makes a difference.

Ran safe mode too... Everything was just fine... Third party apps are not issues because they were what I installed in my phone before the upgrade. After upgrade, Android OS and Android system consume significant my battery, and my phone is always awake.

Wayne Peng

Feb 9, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for your help and welcoming.

I post 2 snapshots to share my battery status.
Screenshot_20170210-075849.jpg
Screenshot_20170210-075854.jpg

The battery was full charged when I went to bed. When I waked up it became only 83%. Most battery consumers are Google play service, Android OS, Phone idle ("! why phone idle needs to consume battery ??") and Android system. I did not active any apps when I went to bed, not sure why they consume my battery that much...

I learned if I have too many apps on my phone desktop, it may consume more battery. So I remove all of them from the desktop and to see if the situation can be improved...
:'(

anon(5303883)

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
I've found a solution of my own.. not a complicated one actually. Still testing but it seems it's working out: i've switched to the Sense Launcher (was using the Google Now one) played a bit with some settings on the Boost+ app and of course i'm using the Battery Saving Mode all the time (just kept the vibration on the keyboard).
It's working well for now.. let you know if this really helps. Cheers

Rddx

Mar 4, 2017
Visit site
Hello guys,
Did someone find a fix? I am having quite a similar issue, android OS and Android system are always consuming around 35% of my battery together. Now my phone barely lasts a day even if I don't use it a lot. I tried to reset my phone several times, I also tried to reinstall all apps manually but still, nothing works. No other app seems to be overconsuming the battery, and battery saving mode does nothing. I really love this phone but this really starts to be a problem...

Tontolon

Mar 28, 2017
Visit site
I'd just like to add another example to this thread -

OS Android and Android system are using 34/18% of my battery respectively and a factory reset and clearing the cache have failed to improve things. I'd estimate my battery is draining 50% faster than on Marshmallow.

I would move on to uninstalling all apps and reinstalling them one by one but given it is Android that is draining the battery I don't really see the point.

I'd really prefer not to have roll back to Marshmallow.

yash dixit

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm having similar issues. found this thread when i still had some hope for my phone, but even this thread does not get any results. I would be more than glad to know of any method which works and I was wondering if this problem would be fixed by a software update and if yes then when is the same going to arrive.

Eric Peterson8

May 4, 2017
Visit site
I've had battery usage problem on my Galaxy6 for months which started the day I upgraded to nougat. Highest usage is Device idle followed by Android System. I do nothing with the phone. The factory reset didn't help, nor cache wipes. Safe mode and MAX power saving mode turn off all the extra apps, and that does not help. I used package disabler and disabled lots of stuff and that doesn't help. I completely discharged and recharged the battery. I've "reset" the battery (procedure described on another thread in this forum). Same result: about 3 times the battery use compared to MM, no matter whether I use the phone or not (if I use it, it burns about 2-3 times the power for the same tasks).

I also went to the Sprint store to ask to go back to MM. They couldn't or wouldn't, but they did reflash nougat for me which was nice. But it didn't help. In short, nothing helps, there's no solution. But I might try a different launcher (mentioned above). Just noticed "developer mode" was on, although none of the developer mode features were on. So I just turned that off. Turning off developer didn't seem to help. Also my launcher is touchwiz which must be Samsung, so I left it alone.

Last edited:

Emily Donnan

Jul 22, 2017
Visit site
Thought I would add to this, got my HTC 10 from Verizon on 7/1 and later that day got the update for nougat. After that the Android os was using upwards of 40% of the battery, Android system using 28%. The phone was constantly awake and would drain overnight on airplane mode. Did 2 factory resets, cleaned cache partition, ran in safe mode, and disabled literally every app and service. Something deep in the software is keeping the phone awake and killing the battery. Was told to go to the corporate store where they had laptops and could downgrade me back to 6, yet when I got there they looked at me like I had 2 heads. Ended up exchanging the phone and am holding off the 7 update until I know this isn't going to happen. If you are dealing with this problem and your phone is not rooted there is no hope for you until an update is released to fix this.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
While I'm an HTC fanboy I have to say I'm not experiencing this issue. Reading thru the comments I will say that HTC doesn't seem to play nice with 3rd party launchers. Perhaps they've improved this since it was a gift topic in the forums but they probably are still going Sense is a big hit with its users. Anyway the big hitters on battery are always going to be UI, OS, and screen on, usually followed by apps. If you find your device isn't sleeping or consuming large amounts of battery with the screen off there's something keeping it going which is likely an app and just because something wasn't an issue prior to an update doesn't mean that it will continue to play nice afterwards. While we have mostly gotten away from factory resets in the past after big updates it is sometimes still required or recommended when these small issues pop up. I personally prefer it because the update tries to make changes while the system is operating and depending on what is installed and/or ruining this isn't always successful. The FR afterwards installs the image in whole and while the system is clean and free of background noise, if you will. IMO it's the best way to update, minus the lost bits that is. Plus it has the added benefit of freshly installed apps, which don't always like change either. Some might feet away with a cache wipe but FR and being stock has seemed to work well for me.