Composing Gmail in phone, is image possible only at the bottom?

Netherthorpe

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
Trivial I know, next to most problems here, but disproportionately annoying!

I’m still learning some of the finer points of using Android and Gmail, and am trying to send some email Christmas ‘cards’, using an existing photo in my phone (which is currently my only working computer). I want to do some text at the top, the photo below that, then more text below the photo.

I can insert the photo ok, but (wherever I leave the cursor), the photo will only appear right at the bottom of the message, and the cursor refuses to go below it in order to type there. (Whether I do text first, or photo first).

It’s the same thing whether I start from Google Drive, select the photo and tap ‘Send as Gmail’, or start from Gmail and insert it from the composition window via the paperclip icon.

Via the paperclip, it’s the same whether selecting it from Images, from Photos or from Gallery (or, having downloaded it, from Downloads). And selected from Google Drive, I can put it in the right place, but only as a link (I don’t want to make people follow those).

If I compose the whole caboodle as a Google Doc then paste it into the Gmail Message, the photo again stays in the right place, but only as a tiny square of unrelated colour.

I’ve searched on the problem but haven’t found any relevant results (maybe that means nobody else has this trouble because the answer’s right under my nose?) The results all seemed to be about inserting images in websites, or involve things I can’t find in my Gmail (picture-of-mountains image icon, Gmail View setting, one called Labs, etc).

Thank you for your patience so far, in ploughing through this!

Motorola Moto G 2015 3rd gen, Android 6. (Browser? I’m assuming Gmail uses Chrome, my default, but I’m not sure. Also have Firefox app as standby).

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Where the picture gets added, and where the recipient sees it added may not be the same place. Some (many, actually) email clients show an attachment, like a picture, as an icon at the bottom. The recipient clicks on it, it's extracted from the email, and saved as a separate file. Even if it shows as being in the middle of the email in your email client.

If you want to send a Christmas card as-is, open the picture in a picture editing app (like Paint.net), add the text in the same app, save the picture as something the recipient can open (.jpg is a good choice), then attach it to an email, or post it to a file-sharing site and email or text the link.

Letting the email client decide where and how to show an attachment has no "location" guarantee, unless you and the recipient are using the same client (and most of them will show the attachment as an icon at the bottom).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez