Restrict phone to WiFi

A

AC Question

I just bought my first android phone (Android 6.0). I have a very limited data plan. How do I restrict the phone to using WiFi when at home.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
By turning on the wifi network, and signing in to the wifi router, all apps that don't require a cellular connection (SMS, phone call) should automatically use the wifi connection.

You can go in to the phone settings and turn off the cellular data system, but that tends to be a little on the extreme side.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
You can go to settings...Data usage...Restrict background data and kill that. While you're there, you can set the data limit.. your device will warn you and turn off all mobile data at the level you set here. Turning off mobile data is somewhat severe as Joe said.

Mycrossover

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site
By turning on the wifi network, and signing in to the wifi router, all apps that don't require a cellular connection (SMS, phone call) should automatically use the wifi connection.

You can go in to the phone settings and turn off the cellular data system, but that tends to be a little on the extreme side.
That is a good point. My Wi Fi was accidently off a couple of times and I ran over my plan in a heartbeat. Put the icon that records usage on your home page. My provider sends me warning messages if I am very close. I don't how it happens but sometimes settings get changed and have to be restored. Just be vigilant. Make sure the WiFi is on and the right one is the default.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I also like ManiacJoe's suggestion of toggling off mobile data. You can probably toggle it off from the Quick Settings menu, but if you can't, then there are many 3rd party widgets you can install to toggle it on and off.