Remove Gmail account without losing functionality

A

AC Question

Hi Guys,
I have to manage about 8 devices for a small business (all Samsung A5 2017's). I thought I would just use my gmail account for all devices so users wouldnt install things and such.
However, I've hit my first issue. I have to setup the gmail account for the "security features" - but I dont want my 'admin' gmail account accessible to the users (only their business email address). If I try to remove the Google Account, I get a notification:
"Device protection features will no longer work".

So clearly I dont want to remove the Google Account because I still want all such features, but how do disable the mail account portion of the Google Account?

bmhillegass87

Q&A Team
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello!

Try Settings > Apps/Application Manager > Gmail > Disable App

This should remove the gmail app from the list of available choices for a user. However, you cannot delete the gmail app in its entirety. Plus, if they have a gmail you want them signing into (the business account) this will make things rather difficult for mail. But, there are alternatives like "Inbox" by Google they could theoretically sign into.

Also- if you want to manage devices, have you considered a MDM solution? I believe Miradore is free still, a tool I've personally used.

https://www.miradore.com/