I got a message that the update was ready, so I allowed it to down load. When it went to installation, it went through the procedure, and then said "error" and froze on Samsung start screen. have tried to hard start several times, but always ends froze on Samsung screen. Is there a fix?
    07-06-2017 03:20 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! You actually got an SMS text about this, or do you mean a system notification in the status bar?
    07-06-2017 04:30 PM
    I got a text first, then a notification in status bar. I've tried battery removal, and hard restarts several times.
    07-06-2017 05:09 PM
    Do you recall what the status bar notification looked like? It's just unusual to be notified about a system update via text message -- it makes me wonder how legitimate it was.

Can you boot into Recovery and wipe the cache? https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-30545
    07-08-2017 01:29 PM
    I was finally able to boot into the setup screen, it asked if I wanted to download a new OS, when I clicked no, it went back to startup screen and froze; when I went back and clicked yes it froze on that screen. Had to remove battery.

Froze again on start screen
    07-08-2017 01:50 PM
    I followed the link instructions, but when it gets to setup, it says error, returns to startup and freezes
    07-08-2017 03:07 PM
    I'm not sure what setup screen you mean. Are you talking about the Setup Wizard, or is Download Mode (aka Odin Mode)? Can you show us a screenshot? http://forums.androidcentral.com/gen...d-central.html
    07-08-2017 03:52 PM
    Unable to do a screenshot, maybe u can see this pic

It goes through a 2- 21/2 min setup, says error, goes to Samsung screen and freezes

Have also tried odin mode, freezes there too
    Attached Thumbnails I received a text that there was a system update for my Grand Prime. A few minutes later...-img_20170708_155726.jpg  
    07-08-2017 04:11 PM
    Hmm, that doesn't sound good. I'd guess that something glitched majorly during the update process, and it might be difficult to recover from it. If it freezes in Odin Mode, then you'll have trouble re-flashing firmware manually as well. Did you get the phone directly from a carrier, or did you get it unlocked? Is it still under warranty?
    07-08-2017 04:26 PM
    Results

I got it directly, but it's couple of years. Guess it's time to replace. Do you think the update was fake?

The one in my notification bar looked real

I managed to get here, but can't get any farther
    Attached Thumbnails I received a text that there was a system update for my Grand Prime. A few minutes later...-img_20170708_162450.jpg   I received a text that there was a system update for my Grand Prime. A few minutes later...-img_20170708_152336.jpg  
    07-08-2017 04:27 PM
    My guess is that something went wrong during the firmware update, causing it to brick. I'm not sure what else to try at this point, if Odin doesn't work. Sorry!
    07-08-2017 06:38 PM
    O well, it was a good phone while it lasted. ������

Found a ZTE Z5 on sale, it will get me by a while. Thanks for the help.
    Is there a way to make the icons smaller on this ZTE?
    07-08-2017 06:57 PM
    I can't speak for ZTE's own launcher, but you could always install a 3rd party launcher like Nova, which lets you control a lot of things (like the size of the icons).
    07-08-2017 07:05 PM
    K. Thanks
    07-08-2017 08:33 PM
    K. Thanks
    I can fix this issue for you.. or possibly try to walk you through it . It is a very complex process if your not familiar with firmware flashing and you will definately lose all your data that was in the phones memory. It requires a full firmware replacement which can be tricky. That being said, ive fixed several samsung devices with a boot loop problem and even catastrophic os issues like your describing. I also have a galaxy grand prime which I'm on now. If you still have yours and are interested please let me know. I was a computer Technician for 3 years and have since moved into smartphone repairs.
    07-15-2017 07:48 PM
    Same thing happened to me... The update logo was a blue lightning bolt. And I long pressed it in the notification tray and went to info and this is what I got.
    Attached Thumbnails I received a text that there was a system update for my Grand Prime. A few minutes later...-screenshot_20170902-095045.png  
    09-02-2017 09:53 AM
    I have Samsung SM-S320VL

I picked up my phone this morning and had a text msg from 24719 telling me my phone required a software upgrade under a popup saying "Download complete A software update is available to install. Calls including 911 will not be available during the install process. Notification 1 of 3" I looked at it a couple of times now I'm at 3 of 3.

I setup the phone last week. I bought it from HSN for TracFone. Should I proceed with the update?
    09-04-2017 08:37 AM
    I have Samsung SM-S320VL

I picked up my phone this morning and had a text msg from 24719 telling me my phone required a software upgrade under a popup saying "Download complete A software update is available to install. Calls including 911 will not be available during the install process. Notification 1 of 3" I looked at it a couple of times now I'm at 3 of 3.

I setup the phone last week. I bought it from HSN for TracFone. Should I proceed with the update?
    Welcome.

Yes, by all means proceed, unless you have reason to doubt that it's genuine. The text was from your carrier?
    09-04-2017 08:39 AM
    I don't know who 24719 is.

I tried chat at Samsung but it's a PITA because they want serial no and everything. So I tried email at Samsung, still waiting for reply...

I've never gotten an txt saying there would be an update.

The earlier posts in this thread said their phone froze when the accepted the install.

EDIT:
    I contacted TracFone and they said that the update is legit. So I will go ahead and install...
    09-04-2017 10:04 AM
    Okay. For the time being, have nothing more to do with it. It will be interesting to hear Samsung's response.
    09-04-2017 10:19 AM
    Thanks Beldoin,

I did check with TracFone after I saw your response. They said it was legit. Still haven't heard back from Samsung.

The pics above in this thread... There is a line below the robot. It is a meter showing progress. Mine changed from blue to white.

The full update install took more than 20 minutes. Their warning that you won't be able to call, not even 911, could be important to some ppl during that time. Make sure you allow enough time for the update to happen.

Still waiting for my update to finish...

Thanks, again. My upgrade just finished. Looks OK. Thanks for being here and giving me the idea to check with the carrier.
    09-04-2017 10:42 AM
    I had the same problem, using a Samsung Galaxy J-3 with the TracFone service as my carrier. Apparently, it's the problem can be solved by blocking push notifications from Samsung updates or anything that looks similar to Samsung updates, Indy system preferences under notifications. Even if you have the notification message on your screen and cannot get rid of it in order to reject the update, if you first block all notifications from Samsung, and then reboot your phone, apparently that notification message goes away, and the update does not install. So far, this is the solution for me but, knock on wood, tomorrow something new could develop, I suppose.
    01-23-2019 12:12 PM