What does this icon mean?HELPPP !!!

A

AC Question

Hey...yesterday my phone battery died and after I charged it I turned on my phone and there was a new icon next the the wifi and I don't know what it means and how to turn it off. I tried everything...went into settings and turned everything off but the icon was still on. I really want to turn it off..Help !!

It's in the top right corner of the phone where you normally have the battery, service, wifi, alarm...etc. and now I have a new icon that resembles a phone handset and 3 lines like sound comes out of it.I took a picture but I don't know how to post it.I have Samsung galaxy S7 edge.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
As a side note, I notice that your battery is down to 16% (and if the phone died, it was probably down around 5%). NEVER let it drop that low - you can kill the battery in less than a year like that. Always find a place to plug in a charger, carry a battery bank with you or turn the phone off when it gets down to 40%. Lithium batteries used in phones aren't deep-discharge devices and they don't last long if you discharge them past 40%. (See table 2 at Battery University - How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries.)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It sounds as if Orange hires the same type of people as one of the carriers in the US - breathing ones. No other job qualification. "Knowledge about cellphones? Not needed, we sell, we don't explain."

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
So I went to an Orange Shop and they have no idea what that icon is and what it does or how to turn it off...they told me it must be something from the new update but they have no clue what it is yet...
I made a call today, switched the speakerphone on and the icon on the status bar was quite similar to yours. Not sure if it's related but worth a try, maybe something got stuck in your dialer. Try this, place a call, switch speakerphone on & off, change the volume level and see if it makes a difference. Also, see in the dialer settings if there's any option for 'call volume' or something similar.

Alexia Tells

Jul 27, 2017
Visit site
I made a call today, switched the speakerphone on and the icon on the status bar was quite similar to yours. Not sure if it's related but worth a try, maybe something got stuck in your dialer. Try this, place a call, switch speakerphone on & off, change the volume level and see if it makes a difference. Also, see in the dialer settings if there's any option for 'call volume' or something similar.

yes...I know what you are talking about...I did what you suggested and the icon is still there...and yes it looks like the one for extra volume or something when you put the phone on speakers but still no change.

MobGeek

Aug 2, 2017
Visit site
Hello,

The icon tells you that the "Speakerphone" is enabled. Most of Android device has an option to increase the call volume or put your call to speaker mode. Try to check your call settings.

Cheers.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
yes...I know what you are talking about...I did what you suggested and the icon is still there...and yes it looks like the one for extra volume or something when you put the phone on speakers but still no change.
Not sure what else to suggest and I didn't find any solutions on the other threads talking about the same issue.

If it really bothers you and Orange don't offer any solution you could try a couple more things.

- Clear data for the dialer/phone app.
- Reset app preferences.
- Clear data for the settings apps (this will delete any personal change you made in the settings, and I'm not sure if it's a big price for just an icon).

Just remember to restart the phone after doing any of these actions.