Question What is this icon?

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Can anyone identify this icon it shows up only when starting phone and just for a secondView attachment 359891
That is the Android 14 "Upside Down Cake" logo. It does briefly appear in the upper left corner during initial startup. But is gone by the time you try to take a screenshot.

That's why you need another device to take a photo of it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I can see the similarity. The photo you shared is pretty blurry. Also, keep in mind that the icon will be a little more stylized than the more detailed logo you see there.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Here's what it looks like as an icon outside of that upper corner.

View attachment 359945
Excellent! I was looking for a sample image on the web, but couldn't find a thing.

I think the icon typically shows up after an update -- either a security update or a Google Play system update. It's usually a sign that the system is finishing up the update.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Excellent! I was looking for a sample image on the web, but couldn't find a thing.

I think the icon typically shows up after an update -- either a security update or a Google Play system update. It's usually a sign that the system is finishing up the update.
Yeah that was clever find in USB settings page on the drop down menu

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, for Android 13, it looked like a "T" inside a gear. Somehow that's for ”Tiramisu". The stylized "S" for Android 12...

It shows up very briefly at every startup, but it does hang around longer after a system update. Probably long enough to get a screenshot then. At least it did on my old phone. Haven't seen an actual update on this S24+ yet.