Access file in root folder (not deleted)

A

AC Question

I recently opened a file from Google Drive on my Galaxy S7 and edited it extensively over the course of several days (not having access to my laptop atm). Having finished, the editor (Hancom Office 2014) prompted me to save, which I did, but the file in Google Drive was unaltered. After a bit of trial and error, I figured out the file (a .docx document) was saved to /data/user/0/com.hancom.office.editor.hidden/cache/provider.files/[file name].docx
I know this is a root folder, but my phone isn't rooted, nor do I want to root it and tackle all the problems that entails. Does anyone know of a way to get the Hancom Editor to reopen the file? It doesn't make sense to have a save option but make the save impossible to access. However, there's no icon for Hancom Editor, even in my App Manager.
Alternatively, any programs that could access the file, or a way to get the file out of the rooted folder (Though I doubt it's possible). The file isn't deleted - If I could open it again, I could copy and paste the thing into a normal document. Any ideas?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't know how to find the Hancom Office files (it they[re not in your app drawer, they shouldn't be on your phone), but to access a file in /data (it's not "a root folder, but anything in it is accessible only to the app that created the folder it's in or superuser (which you become if the phone is rooted and you use a root file manager), you'll have to root the phone.

Back up the entire phone (see Backing up an Android Device), then root it. You'll be able to use any rooted file manager to copy the file and put it onto any folder your "editor that can edit docx documents" can get to.

After you do what you need to do, if you don't want any signs of rooting showing, you'll have to reflash the stock ROM (see [Samsung] How to flash Stock ROM via ODIN), Then restore everything you backed up - all your documents, pictures, etc. will be gone, and all your installed apps (the ones you installed, not the ones that came with the phone) will be gone.

elizidel

Feb 22, 2018
Visit site
Please help - I have the SAME problem and I desperately need to get to my files apparently stored in /data/user/0/com.hancom.office.editor.hidden/cache/provider.files/[file name].docx

the answer from the ambassador's answer was insufficient for a non-techie like me.

I desperately need access to these files ASAP.
I can get INTO the Hancom app by simply opening another Word document on my phone, but there is no option to open any other document... PLEASE please, please someone help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress