Hi guys, I had my Samsung Note 5 stolen and for some reason everything was backed up except my contacts which is a bit of a disaster.

However, I got a replacement of the S8 and on my Facebook app it's shows the following 'Add friends who aren't on Facebook yet'....listing my old contacts!!! I want these but can't find them on the phone or cloud...how does Facebook have them and I don't!

If anybody knows how to extract the contacts that I'm seeing on Facebook that would be AMAZING.

Thanks in advance for any help!!! James
    08-23-2017 06:36 AM
    When you put things on Facebook (whether you do it manually, or the Facebook app finds them), they're stored on Facebook's server.

When you add a new contact, the default (at the top) is Device. Device contacts don't back up to Google's server, only google contacts do. (Don't ask me why they made Device the default - I would have made Google the default.) From now on, when you're adding a contact, tap "Device" and choose your Google account instead. (And make sure, in Settings/Accounts/Google, that you have Contacts sync enabled.)

You can convert Device contacts to Google contacts, but you have to export them, delete all your contacts, then import the exported file into your Google account (on the phone). It's a lot easier to just add them as google accounts in the first place.
    08-23-2017 01:27 PM