How can I get Android Security Patch updates on an AT&T phone if using a different carrier sim card?

A

AC Question

How can I get Android Security Patch updates on an AT&T phone if using a different carrier sim card?

I have an AT&T Galaxy S8+ phone that I have been using with a Cricket Sim card since June. It's worked perfectly but has received no security patches. Both AT&T and Cricket indicate that they've pushed them out. Cricket tells me I won't get the update because it's an AT&T branded phone. AT&T, of course, tells me that they can't help since I am not using their network. And Samsung tells me that there is nothing they can suggest other than to go back to the network provider.

Other than selling this one and purchasing a new unlocked version (or purchasing a Cricket version), does anyone have an idea on how I can ensure I am using the latest security patch?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: How can I get Android Security Patch updates on an AT&T phone if using a different carrier sim c

Welcome to Android Central! That's one of the main disadvantages of using a carrier-specific phone on a different network. I don't believe that Odin or Smart Switch will work in this situation either. You could consider getting the cheapest prepaid SIM from AT&T and pop it in only when you want to update.

Firstname Lastname5

Nov 30, 2017
Visit site
Re: How can I get Android Security Patch updates on an AT&T phone if using a different carrier sim c

I have an unlocked spare Samsung Galaxy Express 3 for international travel. So I purchase a 1 month Ultra mobile SIM for use when traveling.
In order to update the Android patches for this phone, I bought a $.99 ATT SIM (Unactivated) and put it in my phone. It was able to update the software without activating the ATT SIM. This may be an alternative although it costs $.99 for every upgrade.

I selected the $.25/min plan but never activated the service.

Also, it looks like they are rebating the $.99 charge until 12/7/2017.

So the update can be for free until then.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Another possibility is to go to https://forum.xda-developers.com/att-galaxy-s8+ most likely in https://forum.xda-developers.com/att-galaxy-s8+/how-to and see if there are any updates (there's a list of recent ones in https://forum.xda-developers.com/att-galaxy-s8+/how-to/adb-updates-g955u-att-t3606211 with a link to the instructions in Post #6 ), and install them manually. Keep your eye on that thread (as well as the others in the first link) for future updates.

Davide Carozza

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site

I have an unlocked spare Samsung Galaxy Express 3 for international travel. So I purchase a 1 month Ultra mobile SIM for use when traveling.
In order to update the Android patches for this phone, I bought a $.99 ATT SIM (Unactivated) and put it in my phone. It was able to update the software without activating the ATT SIM. This may be an alternative although it costs $.99 for every upgrade.

I selected the $.25/min plan but never activated the service.

Also, it looks like they are rebating the $.99 charge until 12/7/2017.

So the update can be for free until then.

My apologies for reviving an old thread, but I was wondering if you meant that you need to buy a SIM every time you want to update a single phone, or if you meant you need to buy one SIM per phone to update? I have an S6 that until now has been getting free updates at Best Buy, but they just discontinued the service. Like you I bought an ATT SIM with the 25 cent plan, so I'm curious if it will only allow me to update the phone once. Thanks!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20