Why can neither Google Assistant or S Voice understand me when they are activated using the hotword?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

S7 edge, Android 7, At&t, Nova Launcher, not rooted.

My concern occurs for both Google Assistant and S Voice (only one of them enabled at a time). When I use the hotwords to activate either assistant the appropriate assistant does open and turn on the mic but when I make my inquiry they either don't hear me at all and timeout or are no where close to what I said. Google sometimes gives a message, either "Google is not available at the moment" or "there is a problem with your mic, try again later". If I press the mic icon in either app they work near flawlessly. Restarting device does not help. Uninstalling Google updates and reinstalling did not help. Clearing Google cache did not help. I have read that other apps in the background could be meddling with the mic but how do I even start to guess which apps to suspect? Any ideas on the general concern or how to narrow down suspected apps? Thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Is the mic obstructed when you use your voice to activate it? For example, I had my phone resting in the cup holder of my car, and tried to dial a number using Assistant -- I could get Assistant to wake up, but it kept mishearing the number. But if I have the phone in its holder on my windshield (with Android Auto turned on), it has no problem. I figured that this was because the primary mic was partially blocked, since it was sitting upright in that cupholder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member