11-10-2017 06:19 PM
26 12
tools Reply
    say, my s7 is connected to wifi. I walk away far enough to disconnect from wifi. when i get back to the place, it does not connect right away. i have to turn the screen on first and then it reconnects. there must be something wrong with this. my friend's phone (oppo) just connects without turning the screen on.

anyone who is experiencing this? solution?
    11-03-2017 09:24 PM
    It will have something to do with the battery saver function. All radios (WiFi, Bluetooth etc) use power, the device puts them on standby when the screen is off to save battery.
    Data saver can slow things down a little too.
    I wouldn't worry, I have the same thing and it doesn't cause me any undue delays and I get great life from my battery!

Doing a cache partition wipe now and then will keep it fresh....
    11-03-2017 09:38 PM
    It will have something to do with the battery saver function. All radios (WiFi, Bluetooth etc) use power, the device puts them on standby when the screen is off to save battery.
    Data saver can slow things down a little too.
    I wouldn't worry, I have the same thing and it doesn't cause me any undue delays and I get great life from my battery!

Doing a cache partition wipe now and then will keep it fresh....
    So there is nothing wrong with this? Will it connect eventually or i need to turn the screen on?
    11-04-2017 03:46 AM
    If it reconnects once you turn the screen on, I wouldn't worry..
    11-04-2017 07:57 AM
    so this is basically how the phone works?
    11-04-2017 08:41 PM
    or is there anything i can do to make it reconnect without turning the screen on first?
    11-04-2017 08:43 PM
    My S7 has to be turned on first to be able to reconnect to Wifi. Is this normal?

Someone told me I should not worry about this, but I want to assure if this is how S7 is supposed to work or not.

My previous phones automatically reconnect without turning the screen on.

Thank you.
    11-07-2017 07:56 PM
    Similar threads merged.

Is wi-fi set to stay on while asleep?
    11-07-2017 09:51 PM
    Yes, it is on.
    11-07-2017 10:33 PM
    Any power-saving modes turned on, or 3rd party battery-saver apps installed?
    11-08-2017 10:31 AM
    Battery saving feature is off. There isn't any third party app.
    11-08-2017 11:22 AM
    Hmm, not sure then. I agree, it seems silly to have to turn on the screen in order to connect to the wi-fi again. This probably doesn't matter, but is Smart Network Switch on? If so, turn it off: https://www.androidcentral.com/how-m...sung-galaxy-s7
    11-08-2017 08:19 PM
    It is also off. Im not using my mobile data most of the time.

So there must be something wrong, right?
    11-08-2017 09:38 PM
    It's hard for me to say if something is malfunctioning, or if that's how they intended it to work. If the latter, that doesn't seem to be a great functionality decision on Samsung's part. Let me ask some of the other Ambassadors to see if they experience this with Samsung devices.

Also, did you already try a cache partition wipe, as suggested earlier by @Tim1954? https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-28028
    11-09-2017 05:03 PM
    Hi there,

Is your WiFi network set to automatically re-connect? If not, and if you have the 'security feature' enabled, any changes to WiFi or network states on the phone (to avoid a stolen phone from having WiFi turned off) will require you to unlock your phone first. If the network is not set to re-connect automatically, then that would mean you have to unlock your phone to re-connect manually.

Now, as others have asked, is your WiFi set to be on ALWAYS so that the phone doesn't turn it off when sleeping? And any other battery-saving apps that might be turning it off would also conflict.

Does it happen with all WiFi networks? Or just a specific one (some routers might not allow you to connect automatically right away)?
    11-09-2017 05:09 PM
    Yes it is indeed weird of a phone to work if this is intentionally made.

I even factory reset my phone to be sure but to no avail.

Thank you so much. Really looking forward to a solution if this turns out a problem.
    11-09-2017 05:12 PM
    Yes all my wifi networks are set to auto reconnect by default.

Wifi on during sleep is set to always by default as well.

This happens to all my wifi connections.

I actually didn't notice this before, but I dont mean it wasnt happening, until someone called me and i could not be reached because of this phone's behavior.

I investigated more and confirmed that it doesn't reconnect until i turn the screen on. The connection however is present even durinv sleep once it has reconnected.
    11-09-2017 05:24 PM
    The possibility of the routers being the problem might be the cause but my friends can automatically reconnect without turning the screen on.
    11-09-2017 05:34 PM
    Just to clarify, i dont have to unlock my phone. I just need to turn the screen on on a locked state and then it reconnects.
    11-09-2017 06:01 PM
    These are incredibly complex devices. To compensate for high battery use by these amazing displays (and increasingly complex apps and software), you have myriad options to save power /data in your settings. You can limit background data usage by apps in data usage settings, you can go to device manager and limit connections and app activity while the screen is off (background). It's this where I'd start looking. If you have no battery /data limitations you can go wild and have the device run like a demon. If you limit these activities, then things like your issue happen.
    Device management is a place to start to poke around in, power saving mode... Settings... Restrictions.. There you can allow apps that run in background to use WiFi and mobile networks. Key words being background here!
    In developer options, there is a swag of settings to make WiFi more aggressive..
    In connections, you can find advanced WiFi settings and tweak the WiFi activity.
    In the data saver settings you can allow apps to use background data usage (meaning they will keep open the WiFi regardless of screen status)..
    Like I said, these are convoluted devices, and a lot of exploring is required to get the most out of them... Pick the apps you want active and allow them to run whenever and you'll be away... Good luck
    Tim2790 likes this.
    11-09-2017 07:20 PM
    So you said earlier on this thread that yours works the same way, right? If s7 really works this way then i would not worry, but if only few experience this, it should call for a fix.
    11-09-2017 07:44 PM
    Tim1954, sad to say it is still not reconnecting automatically. Grrrrr. This is such an annoyance.
    11-09-2017 08:34 PM
    I honestly do not recall having this issue when I had the S7, and I just tried it (you made me walk, shame on you! haha) on the Note 8 and a friend's S8, and they both re-connect just fine with the screen off. Is your phone from any carrier in particular? Some bugs are carrier-specific... And again, although it's been mentioned before, make sure that there aren't any battery-saving apps/features that might be conflicting with the WiFi state. (If on, try switching Adaptive Switching or whatever it's called on the S7... the feature that jumps to mobile data if your WiFi isn't up to par).
    Tim2790, Tim1954 and B. Diddy like this.
    11-10-2017 10:43 AM
    I really really appreciate the help. I'm actually in Vietnam right now and I do hope this is just a connection issue and that there is nothing wrong with my phone.

I've done all possible workaround, but everything was in vain.

I still believe samsung makes reliable phones.
    11-10-2017 12:29 PM
    I have mine wound back and seriously restricted, plus firewalled, so not much happening once that screen goes off in this phone!
    11-10-2017 03:35 PM
26 12