Text messages default to contact's 'computer to text' email address instead of phone number

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Someone from work uses email to send group text messages, putting the phonenumber@mobilecarrier.com address. Ever since I received one of those group messages, I'm having wierd issues with sending and receiving texts with any contact that was listed in that group message. Even if i have the contact saved in my phone with just their phone number (and no email address), the text message will default to their phonenumber@mobilecarrier.com. seems like my phone is remembering it somewhere but I haven't intentionally saved it anywhere, and I can't figure out how to fix it. When I send them text messages, they either don't get the message or get weird symbols and a broken message from my version of that email address. Contacts I had saved in my phone prior to receiving the first of these computer to text messages have not been affected. When I select a contact's number in my address book to start a message, it will automatically change it to that email address and say "converting to multimedia" (so maybe a SMS to MMS issue?). How do I stop this from happening? What's the solution? Please help!

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Make sure you are starting a new conversation thread using the desired phone number for the contact.
Continuing to text using an old thread just uses the old communication addresses.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Make sure you are starting a new conversation thread using the desired phone number for the contact.
Continuing to text using an old thread just uses the old communication addresses.

Ckas11

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
I've deleted the chat group, used a different app, and start fresh messages for texting (putting in their actual phone number, not just their contact name) and it's still happening. I can't figure out what is going on and don't know where to turn. I was using Google voice and I know their Project Fi allows you to text from email addresses, so I've deleted that as well in case that was the issue. I'm just not sure if it's my phone, Google, or my own mobile carrier causing this problem. I don't know what to do

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
333tmh